Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i remove wet sanding marks from use of traditional wet sand paper

how do i remove wet sanding marks from use of traditional wet sand paper

i went a little deep and ive buffed the surface and its pretty good but not perfect i was going to try to use meguiars wet sand paper because of the unigrit tech to see if i can remove the light scratches left behind from the crappy wet sand paper

will this fix the prob or should i just work the surface some more with the buffer and wool pad followed up with a polishing pad and then a finishing pad

Re: how do i remove wet sanding marks from use of traditional wet sand paper

I'm moving this to Detailing 101 as this is where it belongs. "New to Discussion Forums" is for questions about how to use the forum/website, NOT for detailing questions.

Mark
    I'm here to help: keep MOL family friendly, keep everything running smoothly, keep the forum organized, and above all...to keep everyone happy. PM me should you feel there is something I can do to help deliver any of those things. -Mark Kleis
    My ride: 2014 Ford Focus ST, 6 Speed, Race Red
    NEW USERS GO HERE FOR RULES AND HELPFUL LINKS: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?42456-Welcome-to-Meguiar-s-Online

What grit did you use? Are you removing the sanding marks with a rotary buffer?
    Finishing with a high grit sand paper will make it easier to remove with a rotary buffer.

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Is this a "Daily Driver" or a Show Car?

Is this the "Factory Finish"?

What was the original purpose of sanding the paint.

Factory paint is thin and hard, the MAJORITY of all wet-sanding is done in a body shop situation where extra paint is sprayed onto the car just for the purpose of having more material to work with by the person doing the sanding and buffing. Also, the car is sanded and buffed while the paint is still soft and easy to buff sanding marks out of.
    Too many people reading about wet-sanding on "other" forums where they don't include the above paragraph and then these other forums give everyone reading them the idea they can simply sand down their car's paint and quickly and easily buff out the sanding marks and this isn't reality.

The safest thing to do is to NOT sand down factory paint on daily drivers. That said, if you've already done this then in most cases it's safer to re-sand with a higher quality paper and a higher grit and then CAREFULLY remove your sanding marks with a high quality compound like our M105, not some compound that's in the same league of the papers you've already used.

Best of luck...

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

it is a daliy driver when i bought the car someone had put spray paint over the clear coat so i wet sanded that off of the paint and i one spot put so sanding marks in that didnt come out totaly

i just talked to my meguiars rep and he sugested using solo cut and polish so not to go to aggressive and using the red and white wool pad and a polishing pad and only if that dosent work to use unigrt sanding paper and that he would show me the proper way to do that

have i said i love megs
    Last edited by bigjoes; Nov 10th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.

Thumbs up Re: how do i remove wet sanding marks from use of traditional wet sand paper

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Is this a "Daily Driver" or a Show Car?

Is this the "Factory Finish"?

What was the original purpose of sanding the paint.

Factory paint is thin and hard, the MAJORITY of all wet-sanding is done in a body shop situation where extra paint is sprayed onto the car just for the purpose of having more material to work with by the person doing the sanding and buffing. Also, the car is sanded and buffed while the paint is still soft and easy to buff sanding marks out of.
    Too many people reading about wet-sanding on "other" forums where they don't include the above paragraph and then these other forums give everyone reading them the idea they can simply sand down their car's paint and quickly and easily buff out the sanding marks and this isn't reality.

The safest thing to do is to NOT sand down factory paint on daily drivers. That said, if you've already done this then in most cases it's safer to re-sand with a higher quality paper and a higher grit and then CAREFULLY remove your sanding marks with a high quality compound like our M105, not some compound that's in the same league of the papers you've already used.

Best of luck...

my meguiars guy is comming in on wed this week he said the same thing you did and that we have to use 2500 - 3000 unigrit sanding paper that
    my mistake was going to canadian tire and buying there wet paper
    im also going to get ultra cut compound and ultra finishing compound
    but i have made it look better already with solo cut and polish system
    i love making it even more shiny and flawless

thanks
    j stan

M83 can easily remove even the 1500 grit sanding marks on factory paint (VW) using rotary buffer...
    Skoda Roomster

what is that product name

next time you tackle spray paint.... try clay.... even paint thinner is better idea than sand paper because you risk sanding through the clear coat easily if the wrong technique is used.....

but anyways some people had good luck using 105 to remove even tough sanding marks so you may try that......

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoes View Post
    what is that product name

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish
    Skoda Roomster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information