• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

severe scratches on factory clear coat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• severe scratches on factory clear coat.

Hello everyone.

check this out (sorry for the pic)

This is my customer's 2008 Mazda 3. these scratches had been done to almost all panels of the car but the bumpers the depth of the scratches varies and the "person" who did this wrote bad word in the hood with a key. now, I'm still practising on wetsanding and I don't have access to Paint thickness gauge. for that, I don't want to practise on a customer car.

I tried m83 + w8006 via DA x 2 Aplications ---->> little improvement in the depth of the color and gloss but nothing happened to those scratches.

then m83 + w7006 via rotary ( on the same test spot) --->> the scratches became slightly better but of course it is still there.

I though of trying 105 + w5000 but it was affraid of doing anything wrong to the car. so I told the customer to let me get the paint thinkness gauge first then we will see how much we can work on this factory clear coat. does anyone now how much clear coat comes with factory clear coat like mazdas if I'm pretty sure that the dealer is not making any sanding job before delivery?

Re: severe scratches on factory clear coat.

If it is past the clear coat into the base coat or deeper then there is nothing much you can do if they are that deep. The only thing you can really do is make them less noticable. Those scratches look pretty deep. why in the world would somebody want to vadalize someones car.
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Here is a bigger picture for you.

Alex
      1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
      1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Heh, from those pics they do not look like they are coming out. Can you feel those with your fingernail? I'm guessing so...

They look like they were applied with some serious passion, and sadly there isn't much you can do about a serious amount of missing paint if that is the case.

Comment

They look quite deep.
          We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

Those scratches look bad. I think they are beyond hope.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by asim_296 View Post

does anyone now how much clear coat comes with factory clear coat like mazdas if I'm pretty sure that the dealer is not making any sanding job before delivery?
                Even if you can remove the scratches by sanding and compounding or just compounding that doesn't mean you should. Sometimes completely removing a scratch will mean either going through the clear layer and exposing the color coat of leaving so little clear paint on the car that it will fail down the road.

Sometimes you need to be upfront with a customer and tell that the defects cannot be safely removed and the only other options are to learn to live with the defects or have the car or affected panels repainted.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks all for your inputs.

I feel sorry for the customer. He will learn how to be more peaceful with people next time. as his car only 40 days brand new car

Asim

Comment

dang.. seriously I got no appreciation for ppl who key cars...but dang thats some serious hating right there.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');