• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused as how to repair paint layering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused as how to repair paint layering

Hi guys

I'll explain this as best i can.
    I gave someone to repair my boot as i had a big chip the size of a Gatorade bottle cap. It had revealed pure metal and thus rusted within 3days of rain.

Though it was a cheap job, it was all i could afford, and well, it turned out an average to a bad job.

After getting my car back, i had to clay off the overspray, and remove alot of swirls created from applying the new paint and then using a normal cloth to "clean" it. I also had to improve the clarity of the paint via paint cleaner and scratch x.

However whilst attempting to restore the boot to former glory, i accidently used my fingernails and chipped of a bit of oversprayed paint near the area of the original chip. The fingernail chip removed a layer of paint (from the job) and thus revealed the original paint layer.

So, question....how do i as much as best possible, "bond" & even out the 2 layers of paint? would i need to somehow lightly sand or use some sort of an abrasive material to even it out, instead of having an abrupt end of new layer and original layer

Thanks heaps in advance.

I guess im trying as much as possible to give it in2 professional repair, and restoring to something DIY

Wilco
    Regards, Wilco
    There's No Shine Like Meguiar's

Re: Confused as how to repair paint layering

Originally posted by Wilco View Post
    Hi guys

So, question....how do i as much as best possible, "bond" & even out the 2 layers of paint?

would i need to somehow lightly sand or use some sort of an abrasive material to even it out, instead of having an abrupt end of new layer and original layer
    Without a 'good' close-up picture it's really hard to type out a "how-to" reply on how to fix this. Even with a great close-up picture it would still be hard to type out a how-to reply to fix this kind of problem.

It almost sounds like one of those situations where the more you work on it the worse it might get. If you were able to chip off some of the newly applied repair paint that sounds like an indicator that the freshly applied repair paint didn't adhere very well in the first place?

You could try cleaning the area really well with some Isoproply Alcohol and then apply a little clear touch-up paint to seal what's left.

As for trying sand and then buff this application of touch-up paint to smooth it over and blend it with all the rest of the paint that's going to be hard to do without [again] causing more problems.

Can you get a good close-up picture?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Confused as how to repair paint layering

thanks mike
      i'll get a close up picture of the chipped off paint area,

though my car is white, and it will be hell for the camera to pickup on what the eye can see.

i'll see what i can dish out!
      cheers
      Regards, Wilco
      There's No Shine Like Meguiar's

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');