• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with product selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with product selection

Hi

I have an 05 Cobalt 263 black in colour.

Fading and oxidation is evident on certain parts of the deck and hull where the boat lies in sunlight at the marina.

I have a PC machine and have used Meguiars products with success on my cars.

Having searched on the forum for a while I have now ordered #49 heavy oxidation remover with a cutting pad for the worst areas and #44 colour restorer to use more generally with either a cutting or polishing pad. I had planned to folow up with a #56 wax on a soft foam pad.

Am I missing a step with the #45 polish or will the #46 colour restorer do the job?

Thanks

Re: Help with product selection

Hi James,

Meguiar's always states that applying a pure polish to an automotive paint is an optional step but a step that will usually increase gloss and clarity.

When it comes to gel-coats applying a pure polish like M45 after a compounding step will almost always increase gloss but also bring out the full richness of color for pigmented gel-coats.

If you want to maximize your boats finish then after your compounding/cleaning steps to remove oxidation it would be a good idea to apply a pure polish like the M45, at least test it out and check your before and after results between a place you polish and a place left as it is after your cleaning step. If your results look better then definitely polish before applying wax.

Hope that helps give you some direction and nice boat!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike

Thanks, I will order the polish.

I'll be starting in the next couple of weeks and let you know how I go on.

Comment

Mike,

It's a work in progress, had three full days at it now, wash, oxidation remover, colour restorer, polish and pure wax.

All applied with the Porter Cable DA, I can't lift my arms above my head at the moment, here is a before

And an after, but before wax (the boat has bottom paint below the water line)

I have a problem though, I was loosing the light and it was getting cold as I applied the wax and it has gone hazy, any ideas on how to remove?

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Hi James,

I do not have much experience with the marine products, but I know in general if a wax leaves a haze that likely means it didn't set properly (Considering you said it was cold out, that makes sense).

The best solution for a few reason that *I* know of is to re-apply the wax and make sure to let it set and use the swipe test. When you remove the new coat of wax it will remove the haze, and also leave a better bonded coat of wax since the first one didn't get to bond optimally.

A quicker and easier option would be to try and re-wash it as that likely will get it off as well.

Comment

Thanks Mark

I will wash her then, and re coat with wax.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');