• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning the Rotary (Need Help Please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning the Rotary (Need Help Please)

I have done body in the past so running a Makita 9227c is not new to me....Using it on a finish is.
    working a finish back to good health is a lot slower and patient processes.

What I am Having troubled with is when use #83 on a W-8006 Soft Buff® Foam Polishing Pad,
    The pad seems to **** up all the product (not absorb it) it just seems to coagulated in the middle of the pad
    and then the 9227 get hard to handle wants to jump up and pitch you can hear the machine loading up(tourque) and then the coagulated #83 will just drop off the pad in a 4" wide by maybe 5" long lump, Thick almost impossible to remove with out spraying QD on the spot.

Different ways I have tired are;
    1. prime the pad with QD and then do an X on the pad but this seem to sling allot
    2. prime the pad and lay a line on the surface and do a counter clock wise lay over ( Rod Craft tough us this method) it still slung then went in to the build-up stage again as previously mentioned.
    I am working a 2'x2' at the most area.

The Makita is 9227c
    setting were
    2 = 900 rpms
    3 = 1,500 rpms
    4 = 2,100 rpm with this setting I used the variable trigger and did not allow it to go to full speed but did use it as a throttle when it torqued down under drag.

Note to self:
    I should have bitten the bullet when Rod offered us to use the rotary at the detail day in NJ. but though since I had some experience using this type of equipment I'd let some of the others there try it out...Don't think that will happen again.

Thank in Advance
    Rich
    If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
    DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Hi Beercan31,

I recently wrote something on using #83 or #9 with the rotary buffer, everything I wrote as far as solutions will apply to either product. Try looking in

Detailing 101
    Professional Detailing
    Professional Line

This gist of what I wrote is that it's true, sometimes #83 or #9 can get gummy and become difficult to work with. The best thing you can do is to clean your pad often with a nylon brush, or hold a terry cloth towel into it to remove any excess product.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I think your are referring to this post.
      "question about product buildup"

Some good advice, Thanks.

So as I read it, I'm thinking I might have worked the product to far, Did not let the pad dry enough, And I am might have used to much product.

What I did do was spin the pad out on the highest setting and watching the black top to see if the water is fully out

Does Humidity have an effect on how #83 will act? I know the first time I used the Makita it was extremely humid?
      Last edited by Beercan31; Sep 17, 2004, 02:14 PM.
      Rich
      If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
      DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');