• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black plastic turned to grey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black plastic turned to grey?

Hey Guys,

I have a friend with a rather old truck that has some severe oxidation on his black trim. As seen here:

What product would you suggest?
    Detailing Enthusiast

Re: Black plastic turned to grey?

I suggest soap and water with a magic eraser.

Test a spot and see if it takes it off, making sure you keep the surface wet.

keep going over it till all the white is gone. But dont over do it.

rinse dry and apply a good protectant (not armorall)
    01 Tacoma 4x4 X/C V6 Imperial Jade

"Oh, oh Marty, here's you keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight"
    Biff Tannen

Comment

Try the megs Exterior trim detailer. It will take more than one application to this plastic it is pretty oxidized. Give it a shot.
      Alex
      1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
      1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Trim Detailer

Note: The problem is the pigment in the plastic has changed color or lost color as in it's faded.

So you have two options.

1) Apply a dressing and this might restore a a darker, better looking appearance. Plastic doesn't absorb very well that's why most all plastic dressings are topical and have to be re-applied. We call this maintenance, it's an ongoing thing. Usually, but not always, the reason plastic gets like yours is, is because it has not been actively maintained in the first place.

2) Use one of those products that dyes the plastic

3) Paint it with a plastic/vinyl paint

Is this a customer car?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey Mike,

No not a customer car, just a friend I was wanting to help out. He is proud of his truck but a little discouraged over the fading.
          Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

I have been using "Black Wow" lately, and must say it's pretty good! For the trim in the pixs, you might look at a product on ADS's website called "Showroom New". It seems to be a DYE for the plastic pieces. Maybe some others here have used the product and can chime in on it's performance.

autodetailingsolutions.com

[Edit: No clickable links until you've hit the 30 post benchmark. -Mike Phillips]

Forum Rules

9. Clickable Links are allowed after new members have over 30 substantial posts . Self-promoting clickable links are not allowed and will not be tolerated in messages. Self-promoting links are allowed in signature Lines once a member reaches Level 2 Privileges. Self-promoting statements or phone numbers are also not allowed in your posts.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
              I have been using "Black Wow" lately, and must say it's pretty good! For the trim in the pixs, you might look at a product on ADS's website called "Showroom New". It seems to be a DYE for the plastic pieces. Maybe some others here have used the product and can chime in on it's performance.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com
              I've tried it. It works, but it goes REALLY fast and is kind of messy.

Before you try dying it you should give some Trim Detailer, or something like Hyper Dressing a shot. If you use Hyper Dressing at each wash I bet it would look awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                I've tried it. It works, but it goes REALLY fast and is kind of messy.

Before you try dying it you should give some Trim Detailer, or something like Hyper Dressing a shot. If you use Hyper Dressing at each wash I bet it would look awesome.

I agree with Mark here. Also try Megs All Season Dressing! It works well on trim too.

Kelly
                MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

id probably go with black wow, but the reviews seem hit and miss, i have used the forever black trim dye, to be honest its not that good.

Comment

Pretty sure thats a F-150, and what I found to give the best look on our F-150 is Gold Class Trim Detailer. Make sure you really soak it in, let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then wipe off the excess.

Ryan
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I put on some Forever Black dye on my old sw20 MR2 a while back. Being an 18yr old car has lots of trim all over it. Nothing looks worst than faded black trim gone grey.

Had to do proper prep work, mask off, clean the trim first. Took more than the one application, I actually spend most the day doing it. Every hour or so. It also only worked on a few parts of the trim as well.

Washed the car a number of times now and still nice and black, so i'm happy.

I'm a fan of Megs Black Trim detailer I just wish it lasted a bit longer as it looks fantastic just done.

Comment

forever black does look good at first but it starts to peel away eventually and it looks aweful

Comment

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like that plastic might be painted. Try a little M80 by hand in an inconspicuous spot, do not let it dry on. If it begins to haze or turn white, go over the spot with peanut or vegetable oil to remove it, then wash with soap and water to remove the oil. Worst case, you'll be back where you started.

This is not a Meguiar's recommended application of M80, just something that has worked for me in the past on painted plastic.

HTH,

Brock
                          Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I have used Mother's Back to Black for this type of application but it doesn't last long and has to be reapplied. From what I have seen when it gets that bad there is no fix. You need to try what I did on my Silverado before I learned how to properly detail. Just replace all the plastic trim. It was less than $1000 to replace all my trim and get it like new.
                            2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Originally posted by the red baron View Post

I'm a fan of Megs Black Trim detailer I just wish it lasted a bit longer as it looks fantastic just done.
                              The problem always comes back to plastic doesn't absorb very well so any dressing, from any company tend to merely be topical.

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');