• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing without Claying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing without Claying?

Hi,

My car has been a year but the paint is still pretty good and shine.
    When I touched the hood with bare hands, I could feel some contaminants left on the clear-coat.

I have not even waxed my car (just used sometimes spraywax).

Do I have to clay before waxing? I don't have a garage so it is not easy to find a proper place to do the job. Is there any way to protect the paint without complete polishing and waxing? I just want to minimize the paint damage until I can do the full detailing.

My car is flat black. I have been using Meguiar's goldclass car shampoo and quick detailer and spray wax (sometimes).

Thank you for your help.

Re: Waxing without Claying?

You do not have to, but if you feel bonded contaminants, you should go ahead and clay.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

If you clay the paint , the wax will last longer, bacause it will adhere directly into the paint and not in the contaminants. Almost all waxes contain some cleaning ability but there is no substitute for claying. you should try it its very easy.
      ayudando a los regiomontanos a que sus autos brillen waldo_gomez@hotmail.com

Comment

Yeah, you dont have to clay, but if at all possible you should.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a cleaner/wax or ColorX for a quick 1-step detail.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

flat black, as in no clear coat?

u shouldnt wax that ..

do u have pics of the ride?

Comment

As some suggested claying is not "required," but it makes the wax bond better, and last longer. You do not need a garage to clay...even working in the evenings when it is fairly cool and not bright out should be fine outside. You can do panel by panel and claying the entire vehicle should take well under an hour.

Also, what do you mean by flat black?

Comment

If I were you I would clay.
              Just by claying you'll notice a difference in the paint, it will look very clean and smooth and when you can a wax you'll protect it and add that gloss and wet look

Comment

Originally posted by bookeem View Post
                flat black, as in no clear coat?
                u shouldnt wax that ..
                Why should non clear coated cars not be waxed?

Comment

I think he misspoke a little... Single Stage paint, Clear Coated Paint, and paint that has lost its Clear Coat are three different things.

The problem is with the flat/matte paints that are becoming common. Any wax will make it shiny....
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would also suggest claying. But if that is not a option, I would use a good cleaner wax at the minimum. Color-x would be a great choice.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

You do not have to clay the car. I would highly recommend to clay the car, then use something like color X.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. A couple of years ago I did not clay my car and it was a pain to wax the car because it was hard to get the wax on and off and now it is easy and kind of fun. You should probably clay the whole car, if not at least clay the hood and trunk and other spots where it might be bad.
                        Joel
                        Firefighter/EMT-B
                        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                        '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                          Also, what do you mean by flat black?

Sorry if "flat" made confusing. I mean my black is not a kind of "pearl black." Just regular black.

But my car is 2008 Mercedes C300, which got swirling and scratches thaks to my great dealership's allegedly "soft" machine washing.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');