• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove rubber colorant stain from CANVAS convertible top...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove rubber colorant stain from CANVAS convertible top...

Ok, my grand entry onto this forum... I have a canvas top on my convertible which is great but last year I used Mother's Back-to-Black (I know it's not a Meguiar's product) on my rear window (glass in rubber) seal.

After having the top folded down for part of Summer, I found that the black "colorant/sealer" had left lines on my canvas top where the rubber was in touch with the canvas. I've now washed down my top as I do once a year with a mild detergent and general dirt came off. I even tried some diluted Simple Green but the rubber colorant is not coming off.

The top is tan and the lines are black (well black/grey). Any suggestions on how to get something like that off the top? I suspect the Meguiar's marine grade cleaner isnt' meant to handle something like this. Very possible the colorant is a type of silicone base (which sounds scary given silicone's reputation for not being removable).

I'm going to lose my warm weather (for letting the top dry out) soon. Any suggestions (especially with experience) would be GREATLY appreciated.

My little car is waiting for your help!

Re: How to remove rubber colorant stain from CANVAS convertible top...

The two products to try would be the Marine Line Canvas Cleaner and Canvas Protectant.

They are in the blue spray bottles.

Of course trying in a small corner first.

Convertible Top - Which Products to Use
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Canvas cleaner or maybe some APC.
      If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Hi:

This is all for information only.

I have been told that the Mother's Back-to-Black product actually has a dye or stain in it; that is how the product makes the surface look better. Not sure if that is correct since it is second hand information.

If that is ture then it may be very difficult to remove the color from the top.

I would take a look at a product called Rag Top. I have heard good things about it but never actually used it.

I would be very careful, too much scrubbing and cleaning could damage the top.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

KTruck
        Make it Shine

Comment

I also was going to suggest the canvas cleaner from the marine line.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');