• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Cleaner entire car by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Cleaner entire car by hand

Hi Guys

Last weekend a sale was on and picked up everything I thought I needed.

Intentions were to do Scratch X entire car by hand (no M105 available where I am) the car is 18 years old and paint work needs a bit of a revive and lots of tiny scratches.

Now realised a wash, clay, scratch x entire car, #7 and two layers of nxt 2.0 will take a long long time.

Wondering if Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner entire car and just scratch x problem spots would be a better option?

Cheers!

Dan

Re: Paint Cleaner entire car by hand

Dan, how about the following: wash, clay, work on problem spots with ScratchX, and wax with ColorX, perhaps topping with NXT if you have the time.

If you do a search through the MOL archives, you will discover that ColorX is very highly regarded by the brethren here: it cleans, polishes, and protects your paint. See, e.g., this thread:

Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

DC1 is great stuff. Use the scratch x for the tough spots and DC1 for the entire car. Before i got a g100 I used to use DC1 on my old Mustang on the entire car and did it all by hand.
      Alex
      1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
      1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Hey Dan

Deep crystal step1 is a gentle paint cleaner, has only chemical cleaning action.

ScratchX uses diminishing abrasives and chemical cleaners and is a much more aggressive paint cleaner than DC 1

I would say instead of doing all the work my hand(which will take way to long, not to mention will ware out your arm) go get you a cheap orbital buffer and a couple of foam bonnets for what ever size orbital you get and use the foam bonnets for use with the scratchX but after you wash and clay your paint first. Next use a terry bonnet for use when applying the #7 show car glaze and then use a micro-fiber bonnet to apply 2 coats of nxt on with.

After you wash and clay your car spend alot of time with the scratchX on your paint because this is where you will get your gloss from and the deep reflections. I would go over your paint at least twice with this step, but to a test spot to see what looks good in your eyes and then switch to the terry bonnet and then with light pressure go over the paint slow and work the #7 polish in will good and then when removing remember to not try to take off the polish with the first wipe, instead wipe off the car another wipe or two. And then apply the nxt with the micro-fiber bonnet, (I like nxt but prefer #26 for it's darking effect and IMO it just looks fantastic when applying two coats!)

Hope I've helped
        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Depending on your goals, and if you have to work by hand, here's what I' do....

I'd wash, clay, and cleaner/wax the entire car. Then focus on one or two panels a day with ScratchX/#7/Wax. Give it a week or two, and you'll be set.

Removing swirls by hand takes a lot of effort, so trying to do to much just hurts your results.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Cheers guy thanks for the advice.

I did really consider Color X, but i've always used Wet Look (the 1 step one) and wanted to try a pure polish after hearing great things about #7.

It's a red car, 18 years old, not really looked after so well, hope they is a bit of potential in it.

The warm weather is coming down under and rain should be behind us so looking to do this and then maintain over summer with UQD.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');