• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

random orbital polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random orbital polisher

Hi , another question, i have a 6'' random orbital buffer using terry bonnets with #83. Im new to this an was wonder how carefull i have to be going over raised ridges etc on the hood or any other part of the car. Can i just glide over everything as long as i turn with the angles of the car or do i have to avoid these spots an just stay on the flat areas? Im afraid of burning through. Am i just being to scared?? Thanks
    John 3:16

Although it is possible it is highly unlikely that you will burn paint with a PC.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I would agree with what Superior Shine wrote but with this caution, if you don't know your car, and by that I mean if you don't know anything about the finish on the car you're working on, then be careful around edges, body lines, and any high point.

If others have gone before you, (as in the car has seen a detailer or two), you don't know what's been done in the past and it could be there is whisper thin paint in the above areas.

Just today, I buffed out a 1982 Corvette, Anniversary Edition and it had a number of thin area on raised body lines. This was an indicator to me to avoid polishing over any of the body lines.

So there's some good advise for you, inspect the finish before working on it, especially any body lines, edges and high points.

That all said, if this is a new car, as in a car that you bought new, or a well taken care of used car, then chances are you don't need to worry about burning through the edges. It's a good overall habit to learn and practice to buff up to edges, but not over edges.

Experience with the products, the process and the machine will give you confidence.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks guys. Mike im told that the clear is about as thick as 2 pieces of paper. How in the world can a "newblar" as myself tell if its thin here an not there?? How did you tell on that vette? Thanks again.
        John 3:16

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');