• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold Class Vs. Platinum Ultra Gloss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Class Vs. Platinum Ultra Gloss

First of all I am not asking a question, I have an answer already. I have a spare hood and am taking it upon myself to do some testing. I try to make it fair to both products and see who make the best of the best. If the moderators do not mind, or if they feel this type of thread belongs somewhere else, forgive me, and obviously please move it to the appropriate section.

First off, Turtle Wax's top shelf Carnauba Polymer blend. I have used this product when in a pinch, and felt it gave me satisfactory results. It was however used in conjunction with Meguiars products.

Meguiars Gold Class their top shelf (consumer grade) Carnauba Polymer blend. I use this product all the time, I love it, it is a versatile product and when paired with NXT brings out the best in my cars.

Now that we have our contestants, its waxing time!

I washed the hood with dawn to strip anything and everything that may be on it. I quartered the hood and left two quarters unpolished and polished the other two.

This will not only showcase the products on a prepped finish, but also show their cleaning abilities on an unfinished surface.

Both products apply easily, and dry to a haze, Gold Class dries clear, Ultra Gloss white. They both are removed easily also, no complants so far both products seem to be a good match. Two coats were used to ensure complete coverage.

Initial impressions,
    The Ultra Gloss has little to no cleaning ability, as such on the unfinished suface, it adds little to the gloss depth or clarity. Gold Class adds very noticable depth and clarity, it makes this red hood look brilliant and wet. Ultra Gloss only does so-so.

On the finished surface there isnt much difference between the two, both seem to be a nice topper on a well prepped surface, with a SLIGHT nod to Gold Class as far as depth

I was going to allow a 30 day test period to determine which product had better durability, however after exactly six days one of the waxes had failed the squeak test, and also no longer even produced uniform beading.

Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss may be the biggest waste of $4 (Kmart sale) ever. I bought it a year or two ago because I was out of NXT and Gold Class at the same time (That will NEVER happen again!), and really couldnt afford either. To get by I bought the top shelf Turtle Wax, feeling that its a name brand, how bad could it be? It was used as a topper on Meguiars ColorX, so its no wonder it looked nice. However I am glad ColorX is so good, if I had depended on the Ultra Gloss, my car would have been naked by the end of the week.

The Gold Class still passes the squeak test and is still quite slick. I hadnt even washed the hood once, and it hasnt rained since I applied the wax...

Re: Gold Class Vs. Platinum Ultra Gloss

Good reviews, thank you for sharing!

Comment

Thanks for the great info!

I actually have both products, so your review will be helpful

thanks
      -Nick
      Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I agree Gold Class is a great product. That is the item that awoke the addiction inside of me. lol.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Since you removed all of the wax using DAWN did you polish before protecting.

And.....

Andy
          Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Well I wouldn't knock a wax for having no cleaning ability as that is not what it was designed to do. While I can't speak of the Turtle Wax Ultra Gloss's durability I can say I have gotten reasonable results from it on a green Honda Civic that I detailed.

For the price, and for an everday driver or non-enthusiast, Turtle Wax makes a decent product, especially when you factor pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
              Since you removed all of the wax using DAWN did you polish before protecting.

And.....

Andy
              I said I quartered the hood, I cleaned and polished two quarters, and left the other two alone. I think you should reread my post, otherwise you might have known that. Both products were applied to a properly finished surface (i.e. Polished) And both products were applied to an unfinished surface, like your average consumer might do. I have pictures, but you cant tell the difference between either product. My camera is old and for some reason doesnt pick up on the fine differences between the two. Well at least not on red, for some reason it can never take a great picture of red. However, the only junk body panel I have setting around is this old red hood.

I washed with Dawn to strip anything and everything that might have been left on the finish, wouldnt make much sense to wash with car shampoo and preserve any residual wax. Its cheaper to use dawn on my junk hood, than to use my Megs Cleaning products.

I am simply providing you guys with my thoughts, because ever since I purchased Ultra Gloss I have wondered how it held up to Gold Class. It really doesnt do too bad until it comes to durability.

And I realize some waxes dont have any cleaning ability, I knew Gold Class had some Mild cleaning ability and I was curious how Ultra Gloss compared. Hence the reason for quartering the hood instead of halving it.

I will buy a nicer camera next time, but you really cannot see a difference in my pictures between the two products. I was hoping for a product that initially cost $8.99 Ultra Gloss would have better Durability, but when I can get Gold Class for $10 at Wal-mart it seems the extra pennies are well spent.

This is just a fun review, if you guys really have a problem with it I am sorry. I had extra product, and had nothing better to do with my time.

Comment

Originally posted by CWM3 View Post
                Well I wouldn't knock a wax for having no cleaning ability as that is not what it was designed to do. While I can't speak of the Turtle Wax Ultra Gloss's durability I can say I have gotten reasonable results from it on a green Honda Civic that I detailed.

For the price, and for an everday driver or non-enthusiast, Turtle Wax makes a decent product, especially when you factor pricing.
                Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss is $8.99 Around here generally speaking

Meguiars Gold Class is $10.00

I agree you can get fairly nice results, but Im not sure Ill ever be using it again from my own experience with my test. Like I previously stated, I wasnt really knocking Ultra Gloss for its lack of cleaning ability. I was simply curious if it had any at all. After its mediocre performance, I would say its not worth it IMO after you realize theres a little more than $1.00 difference between the two.

I used to really like Turtle Wax Products, it was a name brand, and you generally trust name brands. I was very disappointed, I had hoped it would do better. It could have at least given Gold Class a run for its money. But I have had Gold Class last me a month before I simply decided to reapply, so it isnt even close...

Comment

Originally posted by lokirx706 View Post
                  This is just a fun review, if you guys really have a problem with it I am sorry. I had extra product, and had nothing better to do with my time.

It's cool... no harm intended...

It is hard to capture with camera what even the eye finds difficult to see...

We appreciate your taking the time to do the test and share your results...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');