• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you "clean" the paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you "clean" the paint?

By "clean" I am referring to the use of a paint cleaner (e.g., DC1) or a cleaner-polish (e.g., #9, #80, #82, or #83). For purposes of this poll, I am excluding claying from the meaning of "clean." I am also excluding cleaner waxes such as A-12 and ColorX, though you may want to explain your use and choice of a cleaner wax in your comment.

Please feel free to describe your cleaning/waxing regimen. Thanks!

Al
    More than once a month
    4.55%
    Once a month
    4.55%
    Every two months
    7.39%
    Every three to five months
    19.89%
    Twice a year
    39.20%
    Once a year
    14.77%
    I use a cleaner wax
    7.39%
    Never
    2.27%
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: How often do you "clean" the paint?

I actually use ColorX/M66 a lot on my car. From my understanding it is more agressive than M09 when using the same pad/polisher combo and it doesn't give me micro marring like I get form a lot of the other polishes.
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I tend to keep my personal vehicles well maintained with regular washes and waxing, therefor contamination is kept to a minimum.

That said, I might do a fine clay once a year or so, and possibly a cleaner wax or an AIO (All-in-one) like D151 once a year as well for good measure.

For a client's car, or a car that doesn't get such regular maintenance I think claying once every 3-6 months (depending on whether or not the vehicle is a daily driver, garaged, etc) is about right, and a cleaner wax twice a year.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Comment

I try to do a thorough cleaning at least twice a year. The rest of the time it is as needed. By that I mean if it looks good, no scratches or swirls when it is time to wax, then that's all it gets. If there is a random scratch I will take care of it when its time to wax.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

I limit myself to 2 sessions a year, or until non-detailers start to see swirls on my car.

Comment

Just in case my original explanation was confusing, please note that an option is given in the poll for those who use a cleaner wax. I know that many Meguiar's customers use a cleaner wax (e.g., Cleaner Wax, ColorX, #6, #66) instead of a cleaner-polish, either exclusively or as preparation for LSP.

I don't want anyone to feel left out.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

I agree with others, kind of a need be basis. Like my moms car that I did this weekend, hasn't been "cleaned" since Mothers day of 2006, so about 2 and a half years. Relatively not swirls, just some RIDS and a little lack of shine, but other than that it was fine.

So like others, if it needs it, I'll do it. Other than that its usually clay and NXT once a month.

Ryan
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

twice a year, before autumn, and around spring time usually. Claying wise probably only one a year as i did it recently and i couldnt remember the last time i did it but nearly nothing came off, is this because i polish and wax every few months, its an easy step and well worth doing IMHO

Comment

I use an all in one about three times a year.

Comment

I have 76 clients that I see weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly. If we set up a long term regimen, I tell them that no matter how many times we wash, we to need to clean and protect the paint at least every 120 days. This is usually after a full correction detail. Of course the area that a customer lives in will determine what "cleaning the paint" consists of.
                    So after a full correction.......
                    75% will get D151 as a constant protection routine.
                    15% will pay more and get a high end wax applied on top of D151.
                    10% will again get a correction due to either the enviroment or other situations.
                    www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

I tend to evaluate during each season that passes and do as needed. The Neon is easily swirled but the Yukon can go for days without nary a cleaner/polish/waxing but I do wax more often than not for protection more than anything.

I need to do a full on swirl removal on the Neon soon though it's looking a little shabby right now.
                      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Twice a year for me - seems to be just about right spring and fall.
                        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I used to use Medallion to clean my paint but I believe Meguiars discontinued it. Let's put it this way, I can't find it anymore. Assuming it was discontinued, not sure what Meguiars recommends in its place.

Comment

Yes, the Medallion series was discontinued. If one is looking for a simple chemical paint cleaner, one can use Deep Crystal #1. I also presume that all of Meguiars' cleaner/polishes will also clean paint. I got myself a bottle of #9 precisely for this purpose.

Al
                            --Al Kimel

Comment

I answered every two months because I didn't read your explanation on cleaner/waxes before answering the survey. I use ColorX every couple of months, but only use a cleaner/polish twice a year - spring and fall. So, I guess I should have answered twice a year.

Bi-monthly: wash/clay(if needed)/ColorX/LSP
                              Semi-annually: wash/clay/#80/LSP

2013 Highlander - black
                              2010 TL - black

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');