• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 GMC Yukon D151/M16 :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 GMC Yukon D151/M16 :D

Gang, here is my '00 Yukon using D151/M16.

Process: No befores, but dusty then rained a second so you know what that looks like.

Wash 2 bucket GC soap
    Dry
    Spot clean with ScratchX/M105 by hand
    One pass w/G100 - D151/8006
    M16 - 2 coats (love the stuff!!!!!)
    Final wipe

Interior - tommorow, I was pooped.

This is what I started with a day really nice and cool and no direct sunlight to cook the surface of the paint.

The following are some problem areas I was presented with that I used a combo of ScratchX / M105 by hand.

This scratch or whatever it is, I could not get it to budge, must be below the surface of the chrome.....not sure. I tried in the past Mag/Aluminum polish, All Metal Polysh and today, M105. No budge, chrome did clean up great though. It's side of the bumper on the drivers side, hard to see but I know it's there

Scratch in the hood, not sure what caused it, the wife immediately said it wasn't her. LOL, I said sure it wasn't you.....

Scratches on the rear barn doors, caused by a box closing the door with those red cinders caked to the back of it..... I told her not to do it. LOL. They came out nice with ScratchX/M105 by hand

Hard to see if at all, swirls galore, on the pillar, worked out by hand with M105

Some afters:
    I think this is where the scratch was on the hood.....

A properly taped area ready for M105/D151.

After:

After M16

Drivers side

Hood after D151 - ScratchX/M105 on scratch and M16-2 coats

Back door, no more scratches. ScratchX/M105 by hand, D151 one pass and M16

These taillights were heavily oxidized (again, did a write up last year sometime) Took some M105 to them, looks great, love the stuff

Some random shots from my new Dual Xenon Light

Some final shots:

I did the paint on the top of the bumper with M105 by hand. Turned out great, some chips in the paint but looks way better.

This is the greatest wax, I have learned now, today, that instance that paste wax is the way to go. I love M16, great stuff and a little goes a long ways. I only had a couple of places where I laid it on thick but other than that, went on and came off smooth as silk. Glad I have 6 cans of the stuff

I like the D151 and would work great on a maintained car with heavier blemishes that ColorX couldn't take out. It dusted quite easily if you don't clean the pad often enough or set down your PC for any moment as I cleaned paint with M105 between takes of D151 and I took my handy brush to the pad and dusted it out and worked fine. Just clean on the fly a lot and keep a brush handy to get the dust out.

M105 is awesome stuff, it worked awesome on the taillights, scratches and swirl removing by hand on the pillars where it's hard (for me) to get my G100. It took 2-3 applications for scratches, one I could not get out all the way but I think only I can see it and actually had a hard time finding it, I think another pass or some light rotary work will cure it quickly. Oh and I took M105 to the metal trim and it left it awesome, not flawless but I was very happy with it if anyone remembers the thread I did on the metal trim some time ago. Works great, M105 yellow pad.

Anyways, ya thinking about D151? it's a good tool to have, but I like the M83/M80 et al process as I think anything heavier then mild swirls in my experience would need more than D151. I only did one pass and still had swirls in some spots. I figure if it needs more, break out the stuff that works then wax when done. It is good stuff and it works a lot like M83 as far as characteristics and power. I think if I did 2-3 passes it would have left a flawless finish, but I would not use it for that. I think it's designed for a mild cleaning that ColorX/M66 can't handle then an LSP applied.

Anyways.....It's not flawless and I know the tires/wheel wells/trim needs to be dressed but that is tommorow. But the old girl has over 130,000+ on the clock and it runs as good as it looks. Original Tranny baby .

Thanks for looking.

Aaron
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: 2000 GMC Yukon D151/M16

Looks great Aaron!

Lets see those close ups on the trim pieces
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Aaron, Great work. Hard to believe it is 8 years old. Looks as good as new. Nice write up and pics. Way to go, fantastic job.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
        Looks great Aaron!

Lets see those close ups on the trim pieces
        Ummmm, need to do a final final wipe down.....

LOL!!!!!

Comment

okay we're good:

UH OH!!! Thats for you Nick

LOL

Now if you excuse me, a bird did it's duty on the hood with red berrys in the mix, UQD to the rescue! Then, my shotgun!

Comment

Great job Aaron!!!

Comment

Great job

Comment

Solid work!

I'm literally in the midst of detailing a 2002 white Yukon right now and I am finding the paint to be incredibly HARD.

Rotary with M105 and the solo heavy cutting wool wasn't even taking some of the stuff out (That passed the fingernail test) even after 2-3 passes! It's going to be a lonnnnng detail

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                  Solid work!

I'm literally in the midst of detailing a 2002 white Yukon right now and I am finding the paint to be incredibly HARD.

Rotary with M105 and the solo heavy cutting wool wasn't even taking some of the stuff out (That passed the fingernail test) even after 2-3 passes! It's going to be a lonnnnng detail

Thats odd, my clear coat is neither hard or soft. In the past I had to use M83/M80 Combo and M02 with the G100 a spot here and there but overall easy to get back into shape. The D151 works well if you just want to do a quick pass and don't think ColorX/M66 will do the trick (at least from my point of view).

I always wonder if the paint sitting in the sun makes it tougher. Our Neon sat in the sun for a year before being purchased, it was covered in dirt really bad and the interior was just as bad. Fortunately I was the one that cleaned it up. It still had stickers on the door jambs. The clear coat is hard as nails.

M105 should do you good. I used it by hand in some spots and it's great stuff, the taillights looked awesome after 2-3 passes.

Have fun, hopefully it wont be all that bad. I find that the hood, roof and trunk (basically the tops of the car) are the most abused.

Thanks guys for the comments. It really looks good now that the sun is out and I've been driving it around. The M16 proves durable as the Bird Doo literaly wiped off with some QD and a MF towel. Good stuff. I am sold on paste wax now. My wife said I should just get NXT 2.0 and M26 in the paste even though I have NXT 1.0/2.0 and M26 in liquid still .

L8R

Comment

sweet shine!
                    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                      Thats odd, my clear coat is neither hard or soft. In the past I had to use M83/M80 Combo and M02 with the G100 a spot here and there but overall easy to get back into shape. The D151 works well if you just want to do a quick pass and don't think ColorX/M66 will do the trick (at least from my point of view).

I always wonder if the paint sitting in the sun makes it tougher. Our Neon sat in the sun for a year before being purchased, it was covered in dirt really bad and the interior was just as bad. Fortunately I was the one that cleaned it up. It still had stickers on the door jambs. The clear coat is hard as nails.

M105 should do you good. I used it by hand in some spots and it's great stuff, the taillights looked awesome after 2-3 passes.

Have fun, hopefully it wont be all that bad. I find that the hood, roof and trunk (basically the tops of the car) are the most abused.

L8R
                      I have a LOT of experience with M105 (been through a few bottles) and this is the first time it hasn't immediately cut through everything I put in front of it! That's why I was so boggled...

I ended up finding that M105/Heavy cut wool followed by #83 on Maroon cutting, and then #80 on yellow polishing did the trick. I would say it is 95%~ perfect, with just a few rids left here and there.

I also noticed the paint was incredibly dry feeling and looking. I think the years of neglect and sun really dried it out.

I plan to do the entire vehicle with #7 before my final LSP to help restore some oils to the clear coat.

I've been taking a lot of pics and I will be sure to share them once I'm done, but it might be a few days since I have a busy schedule

Comment

Great job nappers! Yukon looks better than new
                        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                          I plan to do the entire vehicle with #7 before my final LSP to help restore some oils to the clear coat.

Seems like what is wrong, my paint once I got it under control feels good.

Can't wait to see pix of it.

Comment

That is one really sweet looking car!! It does look great!!

Comment

Good job! Car looks great.
                              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');