• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Foam vs. gel vs. spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Foam vs. gel vs. spray

Hey guys I wasn't sure what would work best so I picked up one of each, I noticed the tire foam works great but has a tendency to overspray onto the paint, which makes me cringe even if Im about to wash the car soon after.

The gel obviously doesn't overspray but it seems like it has a harder time "working into" the wheel.

As for the actual rims, haven't used the tire spray yet, I've been using palmolive to clean the rims and that works great. Is there any benefit to using the spray on the rims vs. palmolive.

What do you guys think, which is the best to use for wheel and rims?

Re: Tire Foam vs. gel vs. spray

I'm kinda confused?

Are you treating the tires or the rims?

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

both, i've been using the foam on the tires and palmolive on the rims. my main fear is that if you get foam on the paint it will permanently stain it (is this true)!!

Comment

I don't think the spray will stain your paint, providing you wipe it off. Just take care not to spray the tire shine directly on the paint. I think the Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Spray has an adjustable nozzle if I remember correctly. Personally, I use the Endurance gel. Using Palmolive dishwashing liquid isn't really a good idea for cleaning your rims as you are removing any kind of wax protection that you have on them. You should really use a dedicated wheel cleaner and follow up with some wax of your choice.

Andy
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I get overspray all the time and I just wipe it off. I wouldn't use the tire spray on the wheels since it won't clean them at all. Just use a good wheel cleaner and STAY AWAY FROM DISH SOAP ON ANYTHING. The gel gives them the best look but is a pain to get off later. The liquid is second on appearance and comes off a lot easier so if you wash every week like I do I would go with that one. I have used the aerosol and hate it. It streaks, runs, and doesn't shine them at all.
          2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

I have used two Megs aerosol tire dressings. Classic Tire Foam and NXT Extreme Shine.
            I like the initial look of NXT aerosol better but, have not noticed any difference in longevity versus Tire Foam. I did not experience any streaking and running with the NXT aerosol.

I expected (and got) running with Tire Foam but, it's more like an AIO.
            With the NXT aerosol I clean with the (discontinued) NXT tire cleaner.

I might try the spray on NXT before I give up and go to Endurance Gel.
            Rob A.
            '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
            '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Originally posted by HemiMopar View Post
              STAY AWAY FROM DISH SOAP ON ANYTHING.
              I would think dish soap on wheels would be milder than a dedicated wheel cleaner. You can soak your hands in dish soap solution but not in wheel cleaner!!

But it's important to seal your rims with a wax, regardless of cleaner used.
              Paul Marmarinos
              Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
              "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

I was just referring to the protection removal.
                2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

after either application, gel or spray I go over it with a clean tire applicator to remove any excess. As for any overspray on the paint I immediately remove it. Have not noticed any long term problems.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

I'm kind of confused too. You're planning on spraying tire dressing before you wash? And you don't want to over spray because it will get onto the paint, but you will be washing the car soon after anyway?

When I wash my car I do the tires/wheels first. Then use a different sponge and wash the body. When the tires are dry I use tire foam. I prefer it over other types of dressings.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');