• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing type 2 water spots/etching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing type 2 water spots/etching

I tried some scratch x with a microfiber pad. The results weren't very good. And yes, I put some passion behind it. I've used it on other parts of the car with some success. I was thinking about moving on to the 105 with a Lakecountry orange pad and Porter Cable 7424. However, after reading this thread. This isn't the way to proceed.

I was assuming that the 105 was equivalent to the Pinnacle XMT #3 intermidate swirl remover. But After reading the various postings it seems to be stronger. I watched the video on autogeeks and thought that the damage shown was similar to what i'm dealing with.

Can anyone give me some pointers on which pads to use?

I have the orange, white, gray, and blue pads to use with my Porter Cabler.

Also, if someone could explain to me how a wool pad would play into this.

I've already used the Meguiars #9 swirl remover with a white pad and porter cable. This was only on the hood and the font right side door. The hood looked better but there were still imperfections. Not as nearly as bad as the roof and trunk though. Those are the two main problem areas. Also, under most circumstances it isn't readily apparent. Depends on lighting and viewing angle. That is why I didn't notice until it was too late.

I had to stop since it was late and I didn't want to disturb the neighbors. Also, my lack of expirence using the porter cable didn't help.fficeffice" />

The car is a 2007 Honda with the oh so soft and crappy environmentally friendly paint.

Thank you.

Re: Removing type 2 water spots/etching

Originally posted by ronin View Post
    I tried some scratch x with a microfiber pad. The results weren't very good. And yes, I put some passion behind it. I've used it on other parts of the car with some success.
    Welcome to clear coat paint technology, remember, Meguiar's doesn't make the paints, paint manufactures make them to car manufactures specifications and I've never seen a car manufacture specify that a paint needs to be easy to work on by hand by the average car owner.

Clear coat paints last longer than single stage paints with less care, but that don't mean they'll look good for a long time.

Your experience is why we always encourage people to test their product, pad and process of choice to one small area before tackling the entire car. Make sure you can make one small area look good before tackling the entire car.

I was thinking about moving on to the 105 with a Lakecountry orange pad and Porter Cable 7424. However, after reading this thread. This isn't the way to proceed.
    At this time Meguiar's doesn't not recommend using M105 with DA Polishers. Many people are using it this way and getting great results but there's no guarantees of satisfaction when you use it this way. On a personal note I've had good luck using M105 by hand, with a rotary buffer and with a DA Polisher but each new car I work on I do a test spot first.

I was assuming that the 105 was equivalent to the Pinnacle XMT #3 intermidate swirl remover.
    Our new super micro abrasive technology is proprietary and no other company has access to this new technology so it's not like anything else on the market.

But After reading the various postings it seems to be stronger.

This new technology introduces a new paradigm to the industry as far as how paint is abraded. It's not like other abrasives and you can't think of it like other abrasives. It's an aggressive product but if you work it gently then it's a gentle product, so again it won't compare to someone who thinks of abrasives as sharp, hard scratchy particles and the way you make a product more abrasive is to add more to a bottle or use a larger size.

Meguiar's new technology and even our diminishing abrasive technology doesn't work like that.

I watched the video on autogeeks and thought that the damage shown was similar to what i'm dealing with.
    Then you tried their recommendations and they didn't work?

Can anyone give me some pointers on which pads to use?
    Meguiar's pads!

Seriously... what are you working on?
    New car
    Old Car?
    New paint?
    Old paint?
    Factory paint
    Re-paint?

What are you trying to do?

I have the orange, white, gray, and blue pads to use with my Porter Cabler.
    Most if not all the results I've personally seen when the orange pad is used with a DA polisher is that it will remove swirls and scratches but it will leave the paint hazy looking.

In the past we've done everything with our polishing pads, not cutting pads but are introducing a new cutting pad that we do state can be used with a DA style polisher but these won't be re-introduced until November of this year.

Until then try to stick with their polishing pads and tweak your technique to make the pad work for you.

Also, if someone could explain to me how a wool pad would play into this.
    Don't know? Meguiar's doesn't make a wool pad for use with a DA Polisher. We do make them for use with rotary buffers and that's how they've traditionally been used.

I've already used the Meguiar's #9 swirl remover with a white pad and porter cable. This was only on the hood and the font right side door. The hood looked better but there were still imperfections. Not as nearly as bad as the roof and trunk though. Those are the two main problem areas. Also, under most circumstances it isn't readily apparent. Depends on lighting and viewing angle. That is why I didn't notice until it was too late.

M09 Swirl Remover is our least aggressive product, or in other words it's our most gentle cleaner/polish. If you look at the picture on the bottle it shows Mike Pennington using a rotary buffer, that's a visual indicator of how to get the best results for removing swirls using the product.

You need something more aggressive and M80 Speed Glaze would be a good product to try next.

I had to stop since it was late and I didn't want to disturb the neighbors. Also, my lack of experience using the porter cable didn't help.
    The car is a 2007 Honda with the oh so soft and cruddy environmentally friendly paint.

Well if the paint is truly soft that means it will be easy to get defects out of it. Most people confuse scratch-sensitive with softness and they are two different things. You can have a hard clear coat paint and it will still scratch easily, but when you go to try to work the scratch out of the paint you'll find like so many people in the world for decades now that it's hard to do and the reason it's hard to do is because clear coat paints tend to be harder, not softer than traditional single stage paints and this is a way of saying modern paints are hard, not soft.

At this point, you probably need to locate a PBE store and get a quart of M80 Speed Glaze

How to locate Meguiar's Professional and Detailer products in your hometown

Then read these,

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
    Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
    (These are all similar tools)

By the way, all three of the above articles are from this forum

How To Articles

Which there is a link to from the homepage of the forum and there's tons more information that answers most of the questions people have when they get into detailing by hand or machine.

Looks like this on the homepage...

Have Questions? Looking for Answers?
    So much good, practical and helpful information in these two forums
    Hot Topics
    How To Articles
    List O' Links 2.0

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
    Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
    (These are all similar tools)

Friendly Tips...
    How to write a great subject for your message!
    The Number 3 - Try to limit the number of questions in a single message to three...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just a note, it looks like you wrote your reply in Microsoft Word and then copied and pasted it into your message box on this vBulletin forum.

Just so you know, when you do this the hidden code in Microsoft Word will corrupt the formatting and can and will mess up your post.

If you want to write in MS Word first, then when you're ready to copy and paste switch to Editor Mode and then copy and paste.

After that you can switch back to WYSIWYG mode.

To Switch back and forth, click on the little button that looks like two letter "A's" in the upper right hand corner of the message box on this forum. It looks like this,

Or you can copy and paste into Notepad and then copy that and paste it into the message box here on vBulletin. This applies to just about ANY forums software you're posting in.

MS Word messes things up big time...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Meguiar's pads!

Seriously... what are you working on?
        New car
        Old Car?
        New paint?
        Old paint?
        Factory paint
        Re-paint?

What are you trying to do?
        Thank you Mike.

As to what I want to do.

I didn't notice these harder to remove type 2 water etchings till after I worked on the car. I washed, claybar (Meguiars Grey), #9 Swirl remover+Porter Cable 7242+ White Lake Country pad.

I washed the car the following week and use a microfiber pad with some Scratch-X. I tried two applications on the area after it was cleaned and claybarred. I put some pressure on the pad until the Scratch-X started to break down. Then buffed with a microfiber towel.

I am trying to figure out what to do next. I watched the video from Autogeeks for intermediate swirls and scratches. The damage shown looked to be similar to what I am dealing with. Going from that assumption. I was thinking of using a product from Meguiars that would have a similar cutting power as the Pinnacle XMT #3.

I am getting advice from my usual Honda forum. They pointed me to the 105. I've done reading from some of links mentioned above. However, I lack the expirence and knowledge to proceed next.

I laid out a list of some of my pads so that I would know which pad to use for which product. Ex: Get the Meguiars 80 and use it with a porter cable and the white pad? If it doesn't have the desired effect, try some more or move onto to the 83?

And once the surface defects are out. Which pad combo to use with the Meguiars 3 step.

The car in question is a 2007 Honda Civic bought in 3/15/2007. It is the factory paint/clearcoat. It seems to scratch very easily.

Saw the post about the new cutting pads for use with the DA. Drats, on not being able to get them till Nov.

I can get the stadard Meguiars stuff. The more semi pro detailing products are not easily store bought around here. I've been ordering them here and there online as needed.

Comment

I only used word as temporary place to cut and past from another post that I had question posted on.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');