• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buffing around edges and on contours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buffing around edges and on contours

I am very interested in buying a rotary. I wanted to know some good techniques on how to buff on or around edges and contrours? And also contours on a hood which sometimes lead to high points. Would i use part of the pad and then roll up the controur until i get to an edge or high point? I plan on starting on a junker or will be picking some panels up at a junkyard. Any help would be great!

thanks,
    glen

Re: buffing around edges and on contours

For sure practice! I don't use a rotary, but to my understanding you use tape on edging you're concerned about.

Comment

The best bit of advice I can give you is this. Go to you local Auto salvage yard and buy a practice hood or trunk. Practice, practice, practice. This way you will learn the power of the rotary without harming good paint.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

i defitnitely will be picking up some scrap parts, but would also like some good basic techniques to start out with.

Comment

Originally posted by cleanCXS View Post
          i defitnitely will be picking up some scrap parts, but would also like some good basic techniques to start out with.
          I bought a rotary 2 years ago I no longer use it but it cost me over 2 thousand dollars before I threw it away.
          Rotaries are very dangerous if you are not very careful,
          darn thing will burn paint in a heartbeat
          Black Bart

Comment

This works great, air powered rotary

Comment

Originally posted by VonLego View Post
              For sure practice! I don't use a rotary, but to my understanding you use tape on edging you're concerned about.
              Taping the edges is a good tip. Also, right before you reach the edge, lift the right side of the pad off the paint a inch or so and just "roll" off the edge. Never roll over the edge if that makes sense. Your always working in a clock wise motion.

You know, rotaries that really gotten a bad rap. If you carefully and work on your technique, there great. I once read an article on line at a detailing website(can't remember the name). Anyway, the article was about rotary buffers and their advantages/disadvantages to D.A. The guy who wrote the article was very experienced with both buffer. The said that most people that didn't like rotaries pretty much said the same thing, That they burn clear coat. Well, would you believe that almost all of those people never even used a rotary before. They just hear the same thing and pass it along. That, is what helps in giving the rotary a bad name. Kind of said in a way.

Anyway, take J. A. Michaels advice and get a scrap piece or two if you can. Buff it out real nice and see for yourself that it's a great tool to have. Play with different product, and learn one of the many techniques that your most comfortable with. After your comfortable with it, have fun. I practiced my wet sanding and paint touch up with it. It's pretty cool when you get a near perfect touch up job.

Comment

acsuppa

thanks for that great response! I definitely agree with the whole thing about people saying bad things about rotaries without having any experience with them. Once i get the money I will be purchasing the makita 9227, and of course, some junk panels!

Comment

I need to buy a rotary... to my RDS!!! Time to check craigslist.

For both myself and the OP, what pads would be good to start with? For a DA i'd suggest 1 cut - 4 buff - 2 polish (thats what I have now) but what for a rotary? Knowing I can use my 6 inch pads on the rotary, how will that effect what I purchase?

Are the 4 inch pads worth looking into as a beginner? 8 inch? Wool?

Comment

Originally posted by VonLego View Post
                    I need to buy a rotary... to my RDS!!! Time to check craigslist.

For both myself and the OP, what pads would be good to start with? For a DA i'd suggest 1 cut - 4 buff - 2 polish (thats what I have now) but what for a rotary? Knowing I can use my 6 inch pads on the rotary, how will that effect what I purchase?

Are the 4 inch pads worth looking into as a beginner? 8 inch? Wool?
                    With a rotary, I like to use my 6 1/2" Meguiar's pads. I have a Solo backing plate that works great. It's made for the larger 7" Solo pads but they work great with the smaller 6 1/2" pads. The size is actually a little smaller then the backing plate for the DA. As far as pad selection goes, you are off to a good start. That's pretty much what I would recommend. I would only recommend Wool pads to a experienced rotary user. 8" or the 7" Solo pads are good but I personally like the smaller 6 1/2" pads. There easy to maneuver. I've never used the small 4" ones. For a beginner, stick with foam, keep it clean and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by cleanCXS View Post
                      acsuppa

thanks for that great response! I definitely agree with the whole thing about people saying bad things about rotaries without having any experience with them. Once i get the money I will be purchasing the makita 9227, and of course, some junk panels!
                      I own a Makita 9227 and love it. Very nice rotary. Yeah. it's too bad rotaries have be given a bad rap. Of course it can cause all the problems that we all hear about if not used properly. I'm sure you could mess up a paint job with a DA if you try to. It's just easier and quicker with a rotary. You'll see when you get on for your self. A little practice and you'll wish you got one sooner.

Comment

heres a guide that should help

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');