• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealing Polished Aluminum Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing Polished Aluminum Wheels

Does Meguiars have a product that can be used to seal / protect polished aluminum wheels after cleaning and polishing?
    2008 Ford Edge
    1999 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
    2006 H-D Softail Standard
    2008 Buell Blast

Re: Sealing Polished Aluminum Wheels

NXT All Metal Polysh leaves behind a protective polymer coating on the surface, not sure about HR Mag/Aluminum Polish.

You can always apply a coating of wax but remember, whatever you apply will wear off and if you're using a wheel cleaner the wheel cleaner will tend to clean any coating off as will washing with some kind of brush or wash mitt.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I use nxt 2.0 on my chrome 20's. I apply on a clean rim of course but the wax seams to clean them furhter leaving a great shine and super blinding reflection, the kind that reflects off the pavement and other vehicles! i dont use any cleaners when washing them just soapy water and the wax seams to last a long time and normal dirt and grime never sticks to the rims. I only apply a wax coating twice over the summer months.. once before i put them on in the spring and once in the middle of summer.

Comment

A newbie here to doing most detailing. I just bought a 2008 Envoy SLT. It has 18" polished aluminum wheels and I've been told they are clearcoated. When I wash it, I use HOT RIMS ALL WHEEL CLEANER..one wheel at a time, spay it on, brush it with a soft wheel brush, then hose the wheel off. What is best to do next?? polish?? then a wax?? Which Meguiar's product? I have a brand new can of HR Mag/Aluminum Polish but it says on the back of the can not recommended for clearcoated wheels. So I'll be taking that back to Autozone. Can that soft bristle wheel brush leave scratches? Washing I use Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. In between washes when I can I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer.

Comment

Having experimented with a 1/2 dozen products on my wheels, NXT 2.0 is as good or better than anything I tried.

Ultimately, nothing worked as well as changing to ceramic pads, but that is a different story.
          ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

I would go with the NXT All Metal Polysh as others said, also the wheel cleaners will strip any protection off, so use it as needed.
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Now where can you buy the NXT All Metal Polysh? is that a Meguiar's product? If that is the polish to use on the wheels. What is a good wax to seal them? As far as a wheel cleaner I use soap and water on the wheels in between washes.

Comment

typically clearcoated wheels can be treated as the paint on your car. Other times posts have popped up using different types of "clearcoat" (powder coating and I think, not positive, ceramic), make sure they are indeed a clearcoat of the paint variety. My machined clearcoated wheels get a quick cleaning with either M105 or ScratchX then coated with my wax of the day.

NXT All Metal Polysh is a Meguiar's product, usually available at most stores or auto parts stores. It's available online too.
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');