• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machined Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machined Wheels

Any tips on how to clean and maintain machined (not chromed or painted) wheel surfaces?
    2008 Ford Edge
    1999 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
    2006 H-D Softail Standard
    2008 Buell Blast

Re: Machined Wheels

For one, IMHO, start by using a product that is meant for bare metals.

.02 hth.
    But that's just me. Hope that helped though...

Comment

I use hot rims mag and aluminum polish on the polished z06 wheels on the vette. Easy to use and they look great!
      -Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

If you want a shiny finish, then use this...

Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish

If the wheels right now have a satin kind of look with lines from where it was turned then believe it or not you're going to want to use something like a Scotchbrite pad and possible a product like Bon Ami or Comet and rub these wheels out in the direction of the lines, not against them.

This will maintain more of a a satin finish but be warned, the more you rub the machined finish the shinier it will tend to get.

Can you post a picture?

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey misl302

Hot rims mag & aluminum polish is good.

Nxt all metal polysh is my choice for aluminum out of these two, leaves a better reflective shine as well as clarity and also is easy on and off.

There's also simichrome polishing paste which is great for polishing and leaves a protective film.

And then there's applying the polishes, by hand and foam applicator or better if you've got a cordless drill and/or electric with a flitz ball with it's fiber material that is great for the cleaning step and then go for mothers power ball with it's foam for the final polishing, much like using different types or bufffing pads to get a two in one step with one product for different steps, or using two different products with both power balls like a aggressive cutting or cleaning polish with the flitz and then a polishing paste with the mothers ball for a complete polishing system much like on paint where you would use a cleaner then move down in steps and/or stages to keep going finer and finer for the most brilliant shine possible.

And sealant's to help lock in and protect the polishing process;
          *zoop's seal
          *wing waxers ****** sealant
          *alcoa aluminum sealant ( which is the cheapest and easiest way to protect bare aluminum after polished)

As for cleaning I like to wash with just car soap and water and make sure you completely dry or water spots will form, if thats the case I use the detailer line glass cleaner for removing the water spots and fast cleaning.

Also another little tip is to use spray detailers, it helps remove brack dust,road grim, ect as well and will help in providing a light coating of protection. ultimate quick detailer

Just a few things to help
          Last edited by Daniel Kinder; Sep 2, 2008, 05:45 PM. Reason: missing word
          ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
          You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
          Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Thanks all.

The wheels I am referring to are 2003 Mustang Cobra wheels. I don't own them but am considering buying. They are available as machined, powder coated, or chromed. Based on what Mike wrote maybe I should consider the powder coated version. Chromed is big $$$ (to me).
            2008 Ford Edge
            1999 Toyota Tacoma TRD
            1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
            2006 H-D Softail Standard
            2008 Buell Blast

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');