• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What products and methods to use.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What products and methods to use.....

I have 1 year old paint job with no defects or scratches (just minor swirl marks) The paint job had 4 coats of clear put on. I really have no knowledge of detailing and I dont want to mess up anything.

I have a 10" random orbital polisher/waxer and dont know what product is best to use with it. Ive just been kinda nervous working on it myself. I really haven't even tried drying it by hand in fear of etching/ swirling. just the whole detailing process makes me feel stupid. I do alot of the mechanical work on the car myself but with this, I dont know a thing.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Ryan

Re: What products and methods to use.....

This should get you started:

It is a bit of a read, but it will answer just about all of the basic and introduction questions to most of the products, tools, and methods.

Comment

Your respect for the finish is a good start. Some people just rush in, throw on some rubbing compound, and grab the nearest rag.

I was in the same boat and I feel much more comfortable working on my paint now and even some of my friends' cars due to my research on these forums. Don't worry about looking stupid if you have questions, that is the point of forums The people here are really helpful.

Enjoy!

Comment

Do all the reading as suggested. If you have any questions ( you will) we will try to answer them the best we can. After all, we were all in your shoes. Good luck and enjoy.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Well...where to start, hah.

For one, I think some pictures are in order...and of course the more info you can provide- the better!

Four coats of clear huh? That leads me to believe this was intended from day 1 to be some type of special show car that would be having the paint professionally leveled and corrected, right? If not...I think that may be what the doctor ordered.

Do you have any orange peel problems? I would think that might be the case unless the painter cut and buffed those 4 coats of clear down to start with. Any info on that?

Aside from that, that 10 buffer will not be a tool that will allow you any removal abilities. A random orbital (oscillating) buffer has a difficult time offering correcting on *some* finishes with a 6-7 inch pad- make the pad 10 inches and the power output is really hampered.

You may want to consider a Meguiar's G110 buffer as it will offer a fair amount more power over what you have, but still offer a LOT of safety.

As for products to use, we again need to figure out what method you will be undertaking, and of course pictures are a HUGE help.

Can't wait to hear back from you.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');