• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep polished aluminum wheels shiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep polished aluminum wheels shiny?

I love my 2-piece forged wheels. I HATE cleaning them.

The barrel of the wheel is polished aluminum (no clearcoat) and looks great when its polished but rain water, dirt, and brake dust deteriorate the finish within days!

I know there are expensive products out there that coat the finish like a clear coat but I'm looking for a easier cheaper way to maintain them. The lip is easy to polish because its on the face of the wheel and easy to access but what gets annoying is that the inside of the wheel is fully polished as well and is very visible. So if I don't clean the inside of the wheel after a while its gets dirty with brownish brake dust, water stains...you name it. Kind of hard to constantly stick my hand in there and wipe it down. And even a simple wipe down doesn't clean them well.

Man its a chore cleaning them! I've tried coating the lip with NXT in hopes that it will protect the aluminum from water spots and such but it tends to dull the finish a bit and doesn't last very long.

Any suggestions or tips?

Last edited by evo77; Sep 10, 2004, 08:50 PM.

I just started to use NXT Generation All Metal Polysh I don't know maybe you have it already but... it say something about "...synthetic barrier which provides an anti-corrosive benefit as well as overal metal protection from all environmental contaminants..." Just a thought.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

My Solution for Polished Wheels

I have high maintenance Halibrand style wheels. The polished portion (both inside and outside rim) requires regular polishing and the painted casting is pretty easy.

Here's the products I use:

1. Wash with NXT wash (good stuff). I do remove the wheels from time to time to do this, especially before a car show.
      2. Buff the polished portion with the new NXT Metal Polish. I've used other products like Wenol, Mother's Billet Cream, Maas, Simi-Chrome, but none of the others do as nice a job as NXT's stuff. I also use a cotton buffing wheel attached to my drill.
      3. Apply a coat of NXT Tech Wax to both the polished and painted portions of the wheel. Allow to dry to haze and remove with mf towel.

The wax results in a very slick coat that brake dust does not adhere to. A quick rinse/wash removes 99% of the dust/dirt.

Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Totoland Mach

Thanks for the info. I like the new NXT metal polish too. What did you dress the tires with?? Endurance?

Both sets of rims look great.

Comment

I used Meg's Hot Shine. Leaves a nice finish...not too glossy.
          Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

I definitely would like to try the new NXT metal polish.

Toto, do you drive your mach everyday? Through rain as well? Just curious because if not then I could see how it would be super easy to maintain these wheels. However my car is my daily driver so it sees all the harsh elements.

Here is what they look like today...

Comment

evo77: I don't drive the Mach every day...fortunate in that regard. I've got a daily driver and my wife has her Pathfinder for work.

You're right about the maintenance being easier. I probably would not have purchased these wheels if the Mach was used a lot. Or, I'd use the OEM wheels for driving and the Halibrands for show.

Take Care
              Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');