• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco Microfiber Polishing Cloths

My wife and I were in Costco yesterday and I see that Costco carries microfiber cloths, 36 for under $15. They look very similar to Megs supreme shine. Same 80% polyester 20% polyamide and made in China. I would have picked some up, but my wife gave me some grief saying I already have more than I need (Is that possible?).

Before I go back and pick some up, I wanted to know if any of you guys have used the Costco brand and what you think of them. I want to use them for UQD'ing or removing wax.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Re: Costco Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
    My wife and I were in Costco yesterday and I see that Costco carries microfiber cloths, 36 for under $15. They look very similar to Megs supreme shine. Same 80% polyester 20% polyamide and made in China. I would have picked some up, but my wife gave me some grief saying I already have more than I need (Is that possible?).

Before I go back and pick some up, I wanted to know if any of you guys have used the Costco brand and what you think of them. I want to use them for UQD'ing or removing wax.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Hi Mike

Yes, I've bought these particular ones for years even before I was into car stuff. They used to cost about $8 by the way, they've really increased this year.

To the point, the quality has also dropped as the price went up. I don't particularly like these. For me, it's like a a night and day difference to the Meguiar's microfiber towels. However, I still have some, since I only have about 15 of the meguiar's ones. I'll sometimes use the costco one, for the first wipes with UQD, and then use my better meguiar's towel for the second wipes, to get the area buffed off nicely.

I used them for years to remove wax too, but now I prefer to use my meguiar's ones too. Although, you could use one for the first wipe, and then the Meguiar's one when you go over second.

They aren't that bad, and they can come in handy for the price, but they aren't as good. I'll probably get some more someday too though. ALso, if the paint was particularly dustier I might choose to more likely use those that day, to not get my meguiar's ones so dirty.

However, you could use 2 or 3 when you go out UQD, and you'd be fine. I UQD almost every day, so I have used the costco ones only sometimes too, and it does ok. Probably even better than some out there, just not Meguiar's.

Comment

Gotta rip off the "Made in China" labels, which can cause scratches. Not as good as the Meg MFs.

Comment

Another thing everyone else seems to get wrong is how small they make their towels. I love the large size of Meguiar's. Just wanted to add that. Meguair's gets everything right.

Comment

I have used the Costco MF's and think they are great. Especially for the price. I have noticed the price go up..but so has the quantity in the pack..Can't compare the to the Mequiar's as I have never used them

Comment

Hi mb911,

I agree with you about the Megs MF being better. Right now I have 8 of the Megs and 6 more coming with an order I placed with ADS. They are the only ones I use on my paint. I also have a few I bought from Pep Boys and a couple of dozen I picked up cheap at Target. I use those for the interior and my son's use them for UQD their cars.

I would like to have another 3 dozen of the Meg's, but if the MF's at Costco are safe to use on my black paint, I could save a significant amount of money.

Seth1066 - I found out about the ripping the tags off the hard way. The day after I bought my car I used a new MF without removing the tag and introduced a lot of light scratches.

Mr Miyagi - Good to hear. Safe to use on black paint?

Thank you,
            Mike
            Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Mikejl - Yeah they'll be useful, so you should probably just get them. I'll continue to get them every now and again for dirtier jobs and areas as well, wheels too and stuff.

Plus, they would suffice on the paint fine too. 1 pack would come in handy no matter what though, even around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                Seth1066 - I found out about the ripping the tags off the hard way. The day after I bought my car I used a new MF without removing the tag and introduced a lot of light scratches.

Mr Miyagi - Good to hear. Safe to use on black paint?

Thank you,
                Mike
                From experience, I knew they had to come off soon as I saw them. Back in the pre-historic days of terry cloth we had a separate set of towels just for black cars. We would pick out the fluffiest and make sure they had no hidden defects like touch-up paint blobs and use fabric softener in the rinse cycle.

Comment

I have never used the brand from Costco. However I have learned the hard way, all I really want touching the paint is the supreme shines. Any other brand becomes the ones to use on the dirtier jobs.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

I have a pack of those but they are my go-to towel for the INTERIOR only.

Ever try a window with one? Notice nomatter what they leave behind a bunch of "micro" fibers? It's absurd how much they shed.

For me, they are delegated to carpet and plastic only- I use higher-end towels for paint and glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumadar View Post

Ever try a window with one? Notice nomatter what they leave behind a bunch of "micro" fibers? It's absurd how much they shed.

For me, they are delegated to carpet and plastic only- I use higher-end towels for paint and glass.
                      Yep, for windows, they are pretty bad. However, even Meguiar's Supreme Shines leave some fibers behind.

I've found I only like Auto Detailing Solutions glass towel for glass.

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
                        Yep, for windows, they are pretty bad. However, even Meguiar's Supreme Shines leave some fibers behind.

I've found I only like Auto Detailing Solutions glass towel for glass.
                        I use the ADS towels for glass as well. They're great... and cheap! (Buy in 100 pack)

Comment

I have the Costco MF towels, they are not near as soft as the Meguiar's SS towels. I use them for door jambs and not on paint.
                          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I use the ADS towels for glass as well. They're great... and cheap! (Buy in 100 pack)
                            Ads glass towels are great. I like them very much. Makes the glass so invisible.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Bingo!!! I do not find them to be soft at all!!! I don't use them at all on paint. Only interior and on the vinyl in the boat.
                              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');