• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding

I'm wondering what grits of paper would be a good choice for all around use, buying all of them seems a bit wasteful.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Re: Sanding

Depend on what you are doing?

Body filller/paint removal sanding-

80 to 120 DRY-

DO NOT WET SAND "BONDO"- YOU CAN GET WATER TO SEEP INTO THE SURFACE AND GET SWELLING ON THE REPAIRS AFTER A WHILE.

block sanding out primer or major paint damage:

minimum grit of 320 to fine of 400 OR 600 wet sandpaper

block sanding top coat finishes for repaint

600 or 1000

block sanding for polish type work -

2000 or higher (2500)

Instead of finger pressure it is better to use a small 2x3 inch flexible blocking pad for paint sanding- wrap a 1/4 sheet around the pad, use lots of water to flush out paint as you go. when done put the wet sandpaper in a dedicated water bucket

I am sure you will get some folks to suggest a variation of this- It is what always worked for me.

Warning-- big box store "SANDABLE" primers can take a long long time to dry to really sand- Use a Duplicolor automotive sandable primer or spray gun epoxy type.

Good luck- consider a 3M assorted pack for paint sanding

Comment

This would be for finished paint / clear coat. So 2000 would be the starting point. Wondering what what be used on plastic lights.

I'd the Meg's block to go with the Meg's paper.
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

First off, I'm not a wet sanding pro, heck not even advanced beginner.

I have a 3M block and a Meg's block. The 3M one is a softer foam material where the Meg's is more rubbery. I like the 3M one for curved areas like headlights since it conforms a little better. However I like the Meg's one for flat areas because it feels like it spreads the pressure a bit more even.

I would have to look but I think on the bad headlights I started with 1000 or 1500 grit. Those where ones the you couldn't even see the bulb. I did write up on here somewhere. I'll do a bit of digging for it.
        Scott

Comment

No luck finding the write up. I looked in my gallery and there were no headlight photos either. So either I really didn't do a write up or that was one of the old forums.

Side note: I've been looking forward to trying some M105 by hand on headlights.
          Scott

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');