• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happened to a paint that is faded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happened to a paint that is faded?

What happens to a paint that it gets faded? Is there bonded containments making it fade or is the paint wearing away?

If such a vehicle with this problem could get fixed with color X right?
    Meguiars=FTW

HMD - 2nd Year & Running Strong

Re: what happened to a paint that is faded?

Depends- is it single stage, or clear coated?

It could be from oxidation, or it could possibly be from marring hiding the gloss and clarity hidden below.

Can you get any pictures?

Comment

Could be clear coat failure to!

Does it look like this? - Clear coat failure..... - Mike Phillips CC failure archive thread

Or this? - Oxidization..... - Superior Shine shine photo

A picture of what your working on will definately help
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

well my guy siad a car had faded paint and i havent seen it yet haha
        Meguiars=FTW

HMD - 2nd Year & Running Strong

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffmann21 View Post
          What happens to a paint that it gets faded? Is there bonded containments making it fade or is the paint wearing away?

If such a vehicle with this problem could get fixed with color X right?
          If the car has a single stage paint, then it can probably be fixed as the problem is probably oxidation.

If the car has a clear coat paint job and you're seeing fading or it's turning whitish in places, this is a sign of clear coat failure and it cannot be fixed.

Click the link below and look at the pictures, see if your car's paint looks like any of the pictures in the thread...

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            If the car has a single stage paint, then it can probably be fixed as the problem is probably oxidation.

If the car has a clear coat paint job and you're seeing fading or it's turning whitish in places, this is a sign of clear coat failure and it cannot be fixed.

Click the link below and look at the pictures, see if your car's paint looks like any of the pictures in the thread...

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Failed clear coat can be fixed, but its more than wet sanding and buffing can do. You have to strip it all off an apply a new clear.
            AeroCleanse, LLC
            Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
            www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
              Failed clear coat can be fixed, but its more than wet sanding and buffing can do. You have to strip it all off an apply a new clear.
              Just to clarify, about a zillion times on this forum usually what I would type would be,

The only honest fix for clear coat failure is to have the affected panel repainted or have the car repainted.

So yes, clear coat failure can be fixed by repainting with new paint, it cannot be fixed by applying a paint care product like ColorX or a ScratchX, etc.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Don't forget that fade can also be caused by sun damage. I shall illustrate with a picture during my debadge of my car...

Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

mike hit it right on the nose......keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');