• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create and use a watermark template in Adobe Photoshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create and use a watermark template in Adobe Photoshop

In this tutorial, I will show you how to create, save, and use a watermark layer in Adobe Photoshop to quickly add watermarks to multiple pictures of the same size.

Step One

Go to File --> New (Ctrl + N)

Step Two

The following dialog box will pop up. This is where you will set the options for your watermark template.

Name- Not really important, but go ahead and rename it if you must.

Preset- Scroll down to Custom. This will enable you to choose the Width and Height of the template you want to make.

Width- The width of your template in pixels. I chose 800 pixels because that is generally the width that I resize a picture when I am posting it on the internet.

Height- The height of your template in pixles. I chose 600 pixels because that is generally the height that I resize a picture when I am posting it on the internet.

Resolution- Not important here.

Color Mode- Not important here.

Background Contents- It is best to choose White because it will allow you to easily see what you are doing later.

Click OK when you are done adjusting the settings.

Step Three

You will notice your background layer, in white and in the dimensions you chose, front and center. Note in the lower right hand corner, your "Background" layer.

Step Four

Go to Layer --> New --> Layer (Shift + Ctrl + N)

Step Five

The New Layer Dialog Box will pop up.

Name- Not really important, but go ahead and rename it if you must.

Use Previous Layer- Leave unchecked.

Color- Leave it at none.

Mode- Leave it at Normal.

Click OK.

Step Six

Note the new layer in the lower right hand corner, so named "Layer 1." This will be the layer in which you will create your watermark. Use the Type Tool (T) on the left and type in your watermark.

Step Seven

After you have typed your watermark and formatted the text the way you want it, move it to a default location. I chose the lower right corner, but with some room from the edges so it will not cover or be covered up by a border.

A quick note here: I chose the lower right corner. MOL has a watermark that is automatically placed here as well. If you wanted, you could make a stand-alone template just for MOL with the watermark elsewhere so your watermark isn't covered up by the MOL one.

Step Eight

Go to File --> Save As... (Shift + Ctrl + S)

Step Nine

Pick where you want to save it and the name. The most important part to this step is the Format. Make sure it is in the Photoshop .PSD format.

Click Save to save it!

Step Ten

If a Photoshop Format Options dialog box comes up, click OK.

From here, your template should be saved and ready to be used.

Step Eleven

To double check that your template is correct, open it up. At the top of the window, you should see the filename and in the lower right of the screen, your two layers.

If this looks good, move on.
    If not, try again!

Step Twelve

Open up the picture you would like to add the watermark to (Ctrl + O). You will want to select the entire picture (Ctrl + A) and copy it (Ctrl + C). Go ahead and close the picture to get back to your template. Once you are back, click on the "Background" layer. This will ensure your picture is under your watermark. Paste your picture now (Ctrl + P).

Step Thirteen

Viola! You now have your picture with the watermark on top of it. Note the three layers now in the lower right of the screen.

Step Fourteen

To make it a savable image file, go to Layer --> Flatten Image. Click it. This will make it a one layer file ready to be saved.

Note only one layer after this step.

Step Fifteen

Go to File --> Save As... (Shift + Ctrl + S). Make sure you save it as a different file name so you do not save over your template!

From here, you can just open up your watermark template, paste a picture, save it and move on to the next!

Remember: Make sure when you go to save the file, use the "Save As..." option to rename your picture. This will prevent you from saving over your original copy of the picture, or in this case, template. If you do, there is no fixing it. Here's a tip: When I edit a picture, I like to copy the original and edit the copy so if something like that does happen, I did not ruin the original picture!

As noted earlier, the MOL watermark takes up the lower right corner. If that bothers you, create a template with your watermark in a different location so it will not be covered up.

Written by Tyler Clegg (roushtage2) for Meguiar's Online Forums. If you find any errors, please let me know so that I can get them fixed! Thanks!

Re: How to create and use a watermark template in Adobe Photoshop

Tyler,

I haven't tried this yet, but I really have to thank you for the hard work and effort into teaching the schmucks like me how to do this stuff!!!

Great work and much appreciated.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Re: How to create and use a watermark template in Adobe Photoshop

No problem! Glad you are enjoying the write-ups!

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');