• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do after paint touch up..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to do after paint touch up..

I just want the color to blend in a little bit more and make it a little less noticable.....thats what I mean when I say the trick...

Comment

Originally posted by Turbopugsleylx View Post
      I just want the color to blend in a little bit more and make it a little less noticable.....thats what I mean when I say the trick...
      Rubbing the touch-up paint won't change it's color unless it has a texture and you get wax stuck into the irregular surfaces.

Rubbing too hard may just mar the touch-up paint if it's not fully dried and hardened...

Give it your best shot and see what you can do... but seriously you want to let the paint fully dry before you do anything. Unless these chips are large you're going to find that working on little tiny spots with the intention of improving more than what just dabbing on some touch-up paint can do by itself to be difficult.

Best thing to do is to apply just a little tiny amount of touch up paint, don't use the built-in brush that's in the lid, instead use a toothpick or go buy a very fine tipped paint brush from an artist supply store or a crafts/hobby supply store.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have some blemishes on the car...that are not chips...tried to bring them out with scratchx and then color x...although they got a little lighter...still did not do the trick...what should I try?

Comment

I have some blemishes on the car...that are not chips...tried to bring them out with ScratchX and then color x...although they got a little lighter...still did not do the trick...what should I try?
          According to you post here, the paint job is 20 years old... and sat for a long time...

Need a Meguiar's Veteran near Greensboro, NC for Imperfection Help!

I have a 1987 Mercedes 300 SDL...

I have a few spots in the paint that are pretty rough though not big...and on the hood, roof and trunk....

The car sat for a long time...so I am not sure if it clearcoat or what...

I used some ColorX and an orbital and the difference was mind bending...but it still did not get rid of these marks from the car sitting...

Most likely its bird doo that sat for months on the paint and pitted thru layers of the paint...

From your description of the paint defects it sounds like these may be bird dropping etchings that have mottled the paint, maybe even wrinkled it...

If that is the case then it could be that you won't be able to fix these areas or fix them enough to your satisfaction.

Take the car to both a reputable detail shop and a body shop and ask them for their opinion. Then post back here what they say.

Also some pictures would really helps a lot...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have used a product called Touch-Up Magic for years and it seems to do a good job in removing excess touch-up paint and smoothing down the area without affecting the car's paint job. Works great for me!

Here is what I found on the product by doing a search for Touch-UP Magic in Google
            Touch-Up Magic
            Professional Touch-Ups at Home! Do you think you can apply touch-up paint to your vehicle's chips and scratches and it will look professional? Will the result be what you expected? It will not. All you'll gain are unsightly blobs of paint all over your car.

Our Touch-Up Magic enables you to remove only the rounded portion of the paint blob, leaving the rest of the paint in the chip. This results in a professional looking repair with a level surface. Each bottle will perform many repairs and is safe for use on any vehicle paint.
            Jezroj
            Sunnyside, California

Comment

I have used my Dremel with a small polishing pad from a kit purchased at Sears and Megs 83 compound with some success. I have just started experimenting with this technique and it has worked pretty well on my old black Z car. It is tricky but seems to work better than anything elso I have tried. I have not tried wet sanding yet. The Dremel method is somewhat time comsuming. I have a LOT of very small rock chips.

Comment

Hi,

I have tried this countless times and have tried re-doing the process over and over again....every single time I have the same outcome. The outline of the chip can always be seen very distinctively. I don't have a cable porter and I am polishing by hand using Meguiar's Rubbing compound and polishing compound (with a microfibre cloth) after sanding with 3000 grit sand paper. I don't have access to Merzena's in Singapore. And I read that some recommends 3M Perfect it III, but in Singapore, I can only find 3M Perfect It. We do have a decent supply of Meguiars and Sonax. Which polish should I use to properly blend?

My process: I usually sand until there is still a very slight bump before polishing. I tried sanding until the blob is level, but when I polish from there, a crater forms. I usually leave the touch up paint to dry for 4-5 days before sanding. My car is an Audi (Ibis White).

Do I really need a machine to polish and buff rather than just using hands?

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');