Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do after paint touch up..

Registered Member

What to do after paint touch up..

I have a blue Merc 300 SDL 1987....I just put it thru its first round of Colorx and all I can say is that if the paint does not look showroom colors right now I am not sure what will....it is amazing...

The catch is the car still has a ton of chipped paint spots on it....today I have finished nearly half the car with a touch up paint pen with a similar color...all the white chipped specs are gone....but I need to know what I should to now after the touchup pen to smooth the paint down to the existing paints level (which is not that much of a difference) and also help the touch up paint to blend in alot more with the existing paint around it....

What I was thinking about was using the last bit of my Colorx and an orbital on all these touch up spots to help them blend in and reduce the noticability (mainly from them being raised slightly higher off the car surface....)

I am not a pro and have only basic knowledge of detailing....so what should be the best route to use to accomplish what I am looking to accomplish with the orbital buffer that I have?

Cool What to do after paint touch up..

touch up paint needs to be leveled by sanding and thats kind of up there passed the rotary skill level.....

you would have to sand it with very fine grade sanding block or sand paper until it is level with surrounding paint and then remove the sanding marks with a rotary

bluezero had been able to tackle sanding marks with 105 by hand but that might have just been because the paint was very soft.....

Registered Member

Cool What to do after paint touch up..

I have a blue Merc 300 SDL 1987....I just put it thru its first round of Colorx and all I can say is that if the paint does not look showroom colors right now I am not sure what will....it is amazing...

The catch is the car still has a ton of chipped paint spots on it....today I have finished nearly half the car with a touch up paint pen with a similar color...all the white chipped specs are gone....but I need to know what I should to now after the touchup pen to smooth the paint down to the existing paints level (which is not that much of a difference) and also help the touch up paint to blend in alot more with the existing paint around it....

What I was thinking about was using the last bit of my Colorx and an orbital on all these touch up spots to help them blend in and reduce the noticability (mainly from them being raised slightly higher off the car surface....)

I am not a pro and have only basic knowledge of detailing....so what should be the best route to use to accomplish what I am looking to accomplish with the orbital buffer that I have?

Registered Member

Re: What to do after paint touch up..

Do you think there is anything that might help it blend in better with the surrounding paint? Maybe rubbing compound by hand or machine.. or Dual Polish by hand or machine?

the reason why only sanding works is because liquids just round the edges while sand paper actually flattens the touch up paint.....

you can try testing maybe 2000 grit sand paper and 105 by hand on inside of your trunk lid and see if it will take out the sanding marks and if it doesnt no one would see it.... if 105 does take out the sanding marks then you can test it on one touch up spot first and see how it goes....dont rub so hard with 105 that it ***** out the touch up paint though....you can read more on the wetsanding forums to see how to do proper sanding techniques....

none of this is recommended for beginners and it may damage your paint to the point of beyond repair other than a repaint especially your paint is already so old to begin with that it may be very thin and sand paper is as aggressive as it gets when it comes to detailing.....

rock chip looks a hell of a lot better than clear coat failure or a bunch of hazy sanding marks on the hood.....

Registered Member

The best would be to sand with a fine grit paper then polish it out. I think it was member Blue Zero that sanded his hood and polished the sand marks by hand with M105. It can be done but can be done incorrectly too!

Here it is:
    M105 VS 2500 grit wet sandpaper

You just have to be careful. I have a chip in my Yukon hood that I need to do the same thing but my paint is rare and only get the touch up paint from the dealer sometime in the future.

Its a tough call. Without the proper skill level and tools you may just have to except the fact that this is as good as its going to get. Read over Blue zero's thread. If you feel confidant that you can tackle it. Go for it. Just do a test spot first. Good luck.
    quality creates its own demand

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Regardless, what you want to do is very difficult and usually investing more and more time into rock chip repair work usually only results in minimal improvements over just applying the paint and moving on.

You can make rock chip repair as difficult as you want, including wet-sanding and buffing with a rotary buffer, this means knowing how to wet-sand and knowing how to use a rotary buffer.

And even if you know how to sand and buff it's still not easy and it's always filled with risk that you could sand off and then buff off too much clear in the rock chip repair area.

You can do a search on rock-chip and touch-up and see some related threads...

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Registered Member

What is M105...I searched in abbrev and found nothing...

Here's a link for you... M105

Edit: Also here is a place where you can buy a sample size for $10... ADS
    Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information