• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracks in paint after using 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks in paint after using 80

I polished my wifes 2002 Honda Civic today with the speed glaze 80. and my G100 on the 4.5 setting. When I was done and washed it and dryed I noticed on the nose of the hood there is an area of what looks like tiny cracks in the paint. Almost like a spider webing. Her hood was already pitted a great deal when we got married so I was just cleaning the paint up a bit getting rid of some swirls. Funny thing is that is the only area that the problem is at which is at the very end of the hood. Any ideas? My speed glaze 80 is about 2 years old but I dont see where this would matter as my other car that I did is fine. Could the paint have just been thin in that area after all the years in the sun and interstate driving?

Thanks in Advance

Kevin

Re: Cracks in paint after using 80

Perhaps the 80 has dried within the preexisting cracks making them visible to you. Most of the clear coat failures I've seen have been on Hondas.
    Heatgain (Gary)
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Comment

I have been using # 80 for the last 3 years and I am positive it had nothing to do with the cracks. Do you have a way to measure the film build on the hood? do you know if the hood has been repainted ?

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
        I have been using # 80 for the last 3 years and I am positive it had nothing to do with the cracks. Do you have a way to measure the film build on the hood? do you know if the hood has been repainted ?
        The hood has never been repainted. Could I have produced too much heat and made the cracks? I have done this a thousand times and never had a problem. I usually work the product until it almost disappears.

Comment

I tried to take some pictures but the cracks are so tiny I am having trouble getting one to turn out right

Comment

I have to agree with Heatgain. I bet the problem has always been there. The 80 may have gotten into the cracks and thats what your seeing. 80 with a DA isn't harmful enough to do any damage like that.

Can you post some pictures?
            2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
            2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by kev4bama View Post
              The hood has never been repainted. Could I have produced too much heat and made the cracks? I have done this a thousand times and never had a problem. I usually work the product until it almost disappears.
              A d/a polisher would not. I have used heavy compound and a rotary with wool to re flow paint on early 1980 GM vehicles to remove cracks.
              here are some possible causes
              1.excessive film build
              2. painting over a previously crazed or cracked surface
              3. improper mixing or application of materials
              4. constance exposure to excessive temperatures.

Comment

I agree, cracks were all ready there, I have several chips (tiny ones) on the front of my Neon (may make dealer repaint) and M80 or any other polish finds every one of them.

I usually treat the front by hand (small areas anyway) and use M26 as it dries clear and it looks better than NXT or other waxes.
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                  I agree, cracks were all ready there, I have several chips (tiny ones) on the front of my Neon (may make dealer repaint) and M80 or any other polish finds every one of them.

I usually treat the front by hand (small areas anyway) and use M26 as it dries clear and it looks better than NXT or other waxes.
                  Thanks, I am betting the cracks were there and the 80 just illuminated them. I have used 80 for years even on brand new vehicles and never had a problem. I will try some 26 and see if it will clean them up a little. What about the new detailer line the D151 on these?

Comment

I tried looking to see if it dries clear or not, I could not find anything. I tried it on my metal trim and didn't think it dried too white.....It wipes off easy though.

80 is great stuff, when cracks in paint develop, nothing you can do except repaint. 26 should do better for ya. It's great stuff.
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Here is another vote for the fact that the cracks were already there. The #80 just highlighted them for you.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Do the cracks look like this?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');