• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 Mercedes-Benz S500 - The Full Monte!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Mercedes-Benz S500 - The Full Monte!

1995 Mercedes-Benz S500 - The Full Monte!

The owner of this car informed us that it's probably never been waxed.
    This was confirmed when brushing one's hand across the paint - it felt like sandpaper. The paint was a single stage off-white when we started and progressed to a bright-white by the time we finished! The swirls were deep and there were a ton of RIDS.

Our Process

Interior:
    - Shop vac'd
    - Spots pre-treated wtih APC+
    - extracted by LGM
    - Meg's rubber and vinyl protectant
    - Meg's Leather Conditioner

Paint:
    - Gold Class car wash via foam cannon
    - Clayed with Meg's smooth clay kit (the sound was like fingernails on chalkboard)
    - M83 on LC yellow pad via Flex @ 5.5
    - D151 on LC green pad @ 1000

Wheels:
    - Meg's cleaner wax
    - Meg's Tire Gel

Glass:
    - RainX

Engine:
    - Meg's APC+ 10:1
    - No Touch Tire Care

Exterior Trim:
    - Meg's Trim Detailer

Headlights:
    - M105, 4" LC yellow pad via PC @6, 2 passes
    - PlastX, 4" LC white pad via PC @5, 1 pass

This was after the hood only!

Extracted gunk form the carpet

If you look closely, you can actually see the line where I stopped buffing with M83 and the flex...there was that much below surface contamination. When we were done we had 2 yellow pads gunked up with black stuff.

Befores/Afters

Headlight before

Headlight after:

Hood Before - not alot of gloss or shine here

Hood After:

Cockpit before:

Cockpit after:

back seat before:

backseat after:

Wheels before:

Wheels after:

Engine before:

Engine after:

Front Before:

Front After:

...And last but not least, the apprentices!

Thanks for looking

Re: 1995 Mercedes-Benz S500 - The Full Monte!

Nice work of both you and your apprentices

Comment

Dang... even on white paint! Now those where swirls! How long did it take you guys? Was it all done via Flex, or did ya use a Rotary at all?
      SWEET!
      The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
      --VoicesInMyHead--
      0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
        Nice work of both you and your apprentices

Thanks The apprentices did a very nice job on the headlights, wheels and windows.

Comment

Originally posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
          Dang... even on white paint! Now those where swirls! How long did it take you guys? Was it all done via Flex, or did ya use a Rotary at all?
          SWEET!
          Yeah the swirls were the worst I've seen. We put about 20 man-hrs into the job.

We decided to do the deep cleaning via Flex with LC yellow and M83, and followed that up with the rotary using a soft LC green pad and D151 @1000 RPM. Mike lead off with the Flex and I followed with the rotary.

Comment

WoW what a turnaround, those swirls were bad!

Good show
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

dude you deserve a award for that one.hell of a job

Comment

Yet again, another amazing job! Those swirls were terrible and the clay after pics are gross!

Just a question, but why did you follow 83 with 151? Is it because 151 is the all in one, which includes polish and wax? The same goes for the headlight process? I am still learning and wanted to know why.

Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by jpitt1987 View Post
                  Yet again, another amazing job! Those swirls were terrible and the clay after pics are gross!

Just a question, but why did you follow 83 with 151? Is it because 151 is the all in one, which includes polish and wax? The same goes for the headlight process? I am still learning and wanted to know why.

Great job!
                  Thanks for the nice comment

We followed 83 with 151 for a couple of reasons:
                  - 151 has the new micro abrasive technology like M105 does and it tends to do a fantastic job of final polishing, leaving amazing clarity and depth. I love using 151 with a light polishing or finishing pad.

- As you pointed out, it leaves the surface waxed. It saves us the wax step if we are running short on time. We can always top it with Nxt or M21 if we want, but it's not necessary.

For example, in this case we could have used M83 followed by M80 followed by Nxt. However, we got excellent results using a 2 step process with M83 and D151.

On my personal daily driver, I get light swirling with every wash (repaint, hard clearcoat that is easily marred). I can use the PC with a light polishing pad (LC green or Megs finishing pad) and it will remove the swirl marks and leave a very clear, waxed finish. I love it because it's a 1 step buff instead of 2 or 3.

Comment

Originally posted by spence82 View Post
                    dude you deserve a award for that one.hell of a job
                    Thanks, I forgot to mention AudionutMike and I worked together on this one so he definitely gets half of that award

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                      WoW what a turnaround, those swirls were bad!

Good show
                      Thanks Aaron, you can see I'm staying on the straight and narrow with legitimitate work (No B & E needed)

Comment

The car looks amazing, another great job well done. Your apprentices seem happy lol well one more then the other. If I coudl only get my 11 yr old stepson off a video game to help would be nice, my 2 year old just likes to spray things lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jpitt1987 View Post

Great job!
                          To expand a little further, Jeff and I discuss what process we should use prior to starting the car based on my inspection, but before we started, we sectioned off the hood to try a couple different processes to see which yielded the best results. This combo really worked for us, but while working on the exterior we did discussed many times if we should top it with a coat of NXT. We inspected the car from many angles but didn't feel we really needed it; we felt we had really good coverage with the 151.
                          From a "shine" standpoint, the 83 really does a great job on it's own (and gives great instant satisfaction!), but obviously doesn't provide any protection.
                          We also had to weigh the time/cost factor.
                          Claying is one of those things that a lot of people think is "snake oil" in nature, but I'm always amazed how much it picks up and how smooth it leaves the surface. Not only was the clay gross, but it almost almost made us sick to our stomachs as we were doing it. The sound and roughness was unbelievable. We also learned that we really need to keep an eye on the condition of the clay, and make sure that we folded it frequently to present a fresh surface to the paint.
                          Last edited by audionutmike; Aug 9, 2008, 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
                          The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

JEFF!!! What's up man?! That's some amazing work!! I'm glad you and Mike are getting a lot of booking! Keep up the good work!!!

Was the paint hard?
                            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Hey guys,

Great work on the Benz. The was a swirly mess. Never seen swirls like that on a Benz. You guys made it look like a benz should. Fantastic work. Inside and out the car looks great. Way to go. That owner should be thrilled.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');