• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches/Swirls in Clear Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches/Swirls in Clear Coat

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and I'm hoping you all can help me!

I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota that is covered in swirls. I'm pretty confident that I can use DACP or swirl remover in a PC or similar dual action buffing machine to get rid of these.

However the hood has some more prominent scratches. Apparently, some put their coat on my hood, then put something heavy on top of it. I think the buttons on the coat (or perhaps the zipper), left about 40 or 50 half inch long white scratches in the clear coat. The truck is dark green, and the scratches appear light green to white in color.

I was afraid that these scratches went right through the clear coat and color coats, however when I run water over the scratches they all disappear. When I run my fingernail over them there is a definite edge there. So it appears they are just deep scratches in the clear coat, not the color coat.

I'm guessing swirl remover is not going to be abrasive enough, and I might have to remove significant clear coat around these scrathes to make them disappear.

Is there some sort of clear paint or lacquer I can use to fill in these scratches, then use a swirl remover or paint cleaner to even them out? I thought about using touch up paint, but I'm afraid that the maintenece will be high keeping them filled and protected.

Any suggestions?

I will try and take some photos and add them on as a future post.

If you can feel the scratches with your nail...then it is probably too deep. Maybe someone that knows what they are doing can get them out with a rotary. If not, then you may need to repaint.

Comment

Hi Devon,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');