• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1976 Silverline Deville Boat - Extreme Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1976 Silverline Deville Boat - Extreme Makeover

Originally posted by Mr Mustang View Post
    this is probably a stupid question, but, how are you going to get to the areas on the boat behind the side pillars on the trailer?
    In the past what I've done is to only load the boat partially onto the trailer, then secure it really well then pull it carefully out of the water and then worked on the sections not normally reachable when the boat is all the way on the trailer. You have to be very careful when you do this and you have to use good judgment on balance.

Another way is to cut the side guides off and then re-weld them on after the buff-out is finished.

With my last drag boat, I removed the engine and all running gear and then invited a half a dozen friends over and lifted the boat off the trailer and set it down on some Semi Truck Tires. After doing the sides, then turn the boat upside down on the tires and get the bottom. While the hull is off it's also a great time to replace the runners on the trailer and do any trailer maintenance.

A lot of work but only had to do it a few times in the 20 years I owned the boat...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
      Do you already have the 3/4 ton axles in it?
      The Jimmy has 3/4 Ton running gear out of a 1980 4x4 Suburban, Corporate 14 Bold Full Floater in the rear and Dana 44 up front, both with 4:11 gears.

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
      That T400 would be a great addition as well, pretty much bullet proof!
      Currently the Jimmy has a 700R4 mated to a NP208 Transfercase, in order to use the Turbo 400 transmission since it's a car/truck tranny, first it has to be the short shaft model plus you have to use a divorced transmission to transfercase set-up which is what I did with my 1971 Chevy 4x4

This is a little tougher set-up to do to a Jimmy or a Blazer because of the shorter wheel base, thus less room for the increased distance between the tranny and the transfercase, that's why I built a 3/4 ton long bed the first time around, more frame length thus more room to spread things out.

If you look closely you can see the transfercase sitting in the middle of the truck by itself, what you can't see is the baby driveline going from the back of the Turbo 400 to the transfercase, (divorced system). The transfercase by the way is a 2 Ton Transfercase out of a Korean War Troop Carrier. By using this set-up you can mount the transfercase lower between the frame rails which will help decrease the driveline angles to the front and rear axels which enables you to lift a truck higher without the driveline angles most guys run into when they use a mated system. The drop hitch to pull the drag boat was 4' tall and made out of 4" square stock with a 1/2 plate for ball mounting. Kind of on the heavy duty side of things...

Had the above truck for 12 years as a daily driver, it too had big block Chevy, first a 396 and then a 402, (don't ask), and 4:11 gears with Detroit Lockers front and rear. Did the chop top myself and had a local guy make a half-cab soft top. I-Beam bumpers and 4" tubing roll bar made out of driveline tubing. Ran through two sets of 44" Super Swampers on it before selling it. (A mistake).

Yeah... kind of like turning wrenches... (and buffing out cars)

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Currently the Jimmy has a 700R4 mated to a NP208 Transfercase, in order to use the Turbo 400 transmission since it's a car/truck tranny, first it has to be the short shaft model plus you have to use a divorced transmission to transfercase set-up which is what I did with my 1971 Chevy 4x4
        I forgot totally about that, I knew there was a trick somewhere, been too long since I was really into it when I was younger. Now it's Penal Code's, Title 15 minimum jail standards, computers and getting better at cars.

WHEN I have the money I love it too. I need to get my '64 back on the road! Got a burned valve and got a new set of heads (the old ones been rebuilt a few times I think) just need to get them on, compression tested fine prior to removal of old heads. I think I'll pull the motor out and reseal it and check the bearings while I'm at it and maybe an oil pump...I miss driving her around!

By using this set-up you can mount the transfercase lower between the frame rails which will help decrease the driveline angles to the front and rear axels which enables you to lift a truck higher without the driveline angles most guys run into when they use a mated system.
        I've seen some ridiculous set ups before, I knew one kid in high school that lifted his so high that he couldn't get a driveline in the front, he ended up trashing that truck.

I've sold a car or two when I wish I didn't. The main one was my parents '73 Olds cutlass, rocket 350, they drove it off of the show room floor (literaly, my dad is a freak) and I wish I kept it. It was nickel and diming me to death at the time and I needed cash so I sold it and they went and wrecked it into a ditch a few months later, broke my heart.

Anyways,

Have fun on the boat and your Jimmy. I may lift the hood on the old '64 and wack the wasps out of it and ponder.......
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

The boat looks great.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Mike, nice job on the boat. I will have to remember the MV81 incase the powercut doesn't work on the 73 MFG.

Too bad you missed out on that jetboat. That motor alone looks like it was well worth the 2k. I assume the internal's were still good.

As far as putting a 454 in the blazer, good idea, big blocks are fun and can be built for cheap money. Those boggers ill be nice and silent for family trips too! Do you take that truck out to the hammers at all?
            If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
              Those boggers will be nice and silent for family trips too!
              The top is off the Jimmy year around so there's no roof holding noise of any type inside the cab, thus tread design noise isn't an issue.

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
              Do you take that truck out to the hammers at all?
              Nope... pavement pounder only. Hammered the blue one for years at the Foster Mud Bog Races but it was built for that, at this time the Jimmy has a mated transmission and transfercase and in my opinion a horrible design for strength under extreme suspension travel. Going to look for a standalone transfercase in the future but even with that upgrade it's just a car guy's choice for a toy for weekends. Some car guys like 65 Mustangs, some guys like 57 Chevys, some guys like a brand new car whatever the emblem... it's what the car culture is all about here in America.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see big engines on boats and big trucks with big mud boggers....

And Mike, great work on the boat.

Tim
                Learning new things everyday

Comment

Nice, I love putting together motors, not to hi-jack your thread but here a a few pictures of my latest motor. Motor is a 6 liter LQ9 shortblock, 11:1 compression, edelbrock heads, arp studs, adjustable timing chain setup, comp cam, comp pushrods, 44lb injectors. Makes about 400rwhp in my 02 Silverado, helps with towing the boat and snowmobiles.

Complete:
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Wow! That's nice!

For now about the most the 454 is going to get is an aftermarket intake and RV style camshaft and some headers, the goal is to keep it simple, inexpensive but reliable while maximizing the available torque and horsepower. Will do a compression check after the engine comes out followed by a thorough cleaning and painting of both the engine and engine compartment.

Now back to the boat... need to finish the top of the sides and then the sides and the engine cover and back of boat... also have to polish-out the inside of the windshield this weekend.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Boat looks sweet mike keep it up. Cant wait to see the 454 in your truck. Its gonna destroyy
                      02 Ford F250 Super Duty
                      International T444E 7.3L Diesel
                      Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
                      Straight Piped
                      PHP FU chip

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');