• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unloved camper shell - way beyond extreme makeover!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unloved camper shell - way beyond extreme makeover!!

Now that Meguiar's has the Porter Cable polisher deal, I'm considering tackling the gel coat on my badly neglected and unloved camper shell (it was originally metallic gray).

I'm thinking the minimum I need to try for starters is:

#40 oxidation remover

#45 boat polish

and then some protection like hi-tech yellow wax.

What pads do I use with these on the PC polisher?

Any better suggestions?

Does the PC have a setting of 75 for something like this?

I can relate to this one. I owned a Red 1984 F150 with the same red shell. Owned it for 18 years and the cap was faded the same as yours. I was unaware of the marine line at the time so I used the Consumers line to restore mine. I used a wool pad with the Deep Paint Cleaner followed by the Deep Cystal Polish with a foam pad and them topped with wax applied by hand. It was all in the Maroon Red bottles at the local store. It was a stunning transformation to say the least.

I pulled the cap off and placed it on sawhorses in the garage and this helped alot. The rest of the Truck had to be detailed after that and I sold it right after that for $1000. Truck was only $9500 when new in 84 so I was happy. The cap did fade back in two years as the new owner did nothing to maintain it at all.

Be carefull around the window trim as I did not tape them off and the rotary took the paint right off the window trim rather quickly. I have a PC now and would use a cutting pad first to see if it would work. Don't forget to clay it as Mine had tons of grit embedded in it.

I stopped over at the camper store and picked up a new weatherseal for the truck bed as half was gone and they offered the pull down back window strip for free. There also was a vinyl trim running along the base of the cap that was all cracked as well and they gave me a roll to replace it.
    I stopped back before I sold the truck and they took a picture of it restored to add to their customer book again.

Comment

I hadn't even considered claying the camper shell to get rid of the embedded grit, but that makes a lot of sense to start with. It could take a while with clay to get ALL the embedded surface contaminants out of the gel coat.

I'll try a cutting pad with the PC, since I've completely ignored the camper shell. I'm not hoping for stunning at the end, just something that looks decent. My truck sits outside year round and is, well, a truck. I use it for the dog, Home Depot runs, etc. and don't worry about throwing wet, sandy toys in the back after time at the beach (kayaks, scuba gear, etc.). It's got a bit of cancer (rust) now, so at some time I'll need to get panels repaired / replaced and then paint the whole thing - one of the joys of living near the ocean. But it only cost me $5888 brand new in late 1987, and I get stopped all the time and asked if I want to sell it. I'm worried if it looks too good, somebody will steal it, since I use it for my airport commuter as well (too many business trips each month)

Maybe I can make this a long term ultimate makeove project truck

Comment

Before I sold the 84 I was letting the wife use it everyday for trips to the local train station. I would commute with the good car and she would take the train. I had the remnants of a complete garage door rebuild in the back of the truck , framing, wood, door tracks and the old wooden door. It filled the bed up to the cap in full view off the windows. Figured I would go to the dump one day during the week. Monday she parks at the commuter train station (with security) and that night finds the truck with a broken drivers side window and the plastic steering column trim stripped away. Who could belive it a truck that old with junk filled to the top of the cap. Still laugh about it today....must have been the dumbest thief.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');