• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible single stage paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible single stage paint

As I have read through this forum over the past couple weeks the one thing I have noticed is how easy SS paint is to work on and that it seems to be preferred over BC/CC.

So I was wondering:

*Is it possible to still get a SS paint job?
    *Would this even be desireable?

Re: Possible single stage paint

If I get my truck repainted (which at some point I'd guess I will), I wouldn't mind getting SS paint again. As for availability, no idea.

Comment

Ss is readily avail. Talk it over with your painter so there is no misunderstanding on how you plan to maintain it. Some painters go with a final mix of clear in the final coat for uv protection but with regular polishing you will break thru so let the painter know your maintenance regiment.

Comment

Found this thread that may be interesting to you.

Comment

Don't think there's a simple answer as to which is better or worse... wish it was that simple.

Modern clear coats will usually last longer so as long as you don't confuse the words "last longer" with "look good longer" you'll be okay as you can swirl out a clear coat finish and it can still last a long time but that doesn't mean it's going to look good a long time.

You can get modern single stage paints which are different than traditional lacquers and enamel single stage paints.

Single stage paints tend to be softer and thus easier to remove defects out of because they're easier to remove themselves as in remove paint. They will oxidize however so you have to do more to keep them in good shape if your car is a daily driver exposed to the outdoors and inclement weather.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the input.
            Also, thank you for that link, it was good to read some other people's opinions.

What seemed to be rather common was the comment that: "SS looks great, but requires more upkeep". Is this a correct estimation? If so, then it seems to me that SS is a great choice. Personally, upkeep doesn't bother me. This is my only car and I want to enjoy driving it around and taking some pride in the appearance.

One last thought: you said that oxidation is an issue. However, if one does the 5 step process properly and adequately maintains the vehicle, then is it really an issue anymore?

Once again, thank you for ya'lls comments! I really do appreciate how helpful and friendly this forum is; I have yet to find another community as dedicated to helping each other out as this one, and I am glad I can be apart of it.

Comment

If you maintain the SS paint, oxidation is not a problem, but when you start slipping (like I have a bit), it will come back. Nothing some Color X can't take care of. I might go with M80 this time round for some more polishing oils though. The upside is I never see any swirls in the paint! Seems like even a simple cleaner/wax job makes them go away.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                If you maintain the SS paint, oxidation is not a problem, but when you start slipping (like I have a bit), it will come back.
                This is true, if you apply a pure polish to a single stage paint often it will slow and even stop the oxidation process, it's only when you let the finish go, (let time go by), that the paint will start to oxidize and that's the problem for most of us is that we don't have time to polish often. That's why we have wax, wax seals the surface and increases the time in-between regular polishing.

Single stage paints require more upkeep but when they're polished up the sure look deep and wet.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That is exactly what I was wanting to know! Thank you very much, I am pretty set on what direction I want to go when it comes time to repaint the vehicle

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');