• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing the start of a rusting rock chip...best way to neutralize rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing the start of a rusting rock chip...best way to neutralize rust

So there are some small rock chips and larger paint chips. Some are caused from canopy hatch rub on tailgate. All in question look like the begining of surface rust (turning brown).

What is the best way to neutralize the rust before applying touch up paint? I'm more concerned with the little rock chips and scratches that would seem hard to scrub and prime without destroying the surrounding paint. Some are smaller than a pencil end erasser.

My main concern it stopping rust. But I want to do it as pretty as possible....with spending the least I can.

I'ts a working truck so a new paint job isn't really pratical right now. But stopping rust is important. I hear some people say that the small chip/scratch that is showing brown isn't necessarily important to fix right away because you'll end up comprimising the surrounding area from sanding off the natural rust protectant.

I've heard great things about a product with the name of something like por 15. Maybe sand off the rust and then apply their primer and then cover with touch up paint?

Whats the best way to deal with the small spots?

Thanks

Re: Fixing the start of a rusting rock chip...best way to neutralize rust

Come on lads, someones gotta have an idea on how to stop the rust?......and still make it look good!

Comment

Removing the rust is your best bet. Sand the rust off the area. Make sure to tape so don't end up sanding a bigger area than need be. I've also heard good things about POR 15 but have never used it.
      Scott

Comment

I've never heard of anyone using POR15 for chips. It works awesome for large areas, but it may be too thick to use for something like this.

First, you say the area is about the same size as a pencil eraser?

Take a peice of sand paper and wrap it around the eraser end of a pencil. Take a couple of rubber bands, and secure the sandpaper to the pencil.
        Now use this to get inside the chip, and lightly sand away the rust. Key here is LIGHLY sanding, don't try to get it all done in a couple of swipes.
        Fill with primer
        Dry
        Fill with touch up paint
        Dry

Take your time, and it will come out looking good.

Nick
        2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
        2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Just to add... you can make doing touch-up paint repair as complicated as you want and as complicated as you can but sometimes more and more work, time and money won't get you too much past the basics, clean the area, apply just a little touch-up paint, move one.

We have a lot of people come to our Saturday and Thursday classes and show us a tiny little spot where the paint is missing and they're deeply concerned over it but when we look at the overall condition of the car it's often times neglected and far from show room condition yet their focus in on this little tiny spot while the big picture, (the rest of the car), is a swirled out mess.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's another thread with some tips on touch-up paint repair...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by mgray View Post
              Come on lads, someones gotta have an idea on how to stop the rust?......and still make it look good!
              Just to point out...

You posted your first post to this thread on Friday, Jul 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM

We often do hang out and post to the forum after a long day of work but not all the time.

Saturday, July 26th we taught a class, started at 4:00am and arrived home at 8:00pm, so no time to answer questions on Saturdays that we teach classes.

"Open Class" at Meguiar's Garage Today!

Click here to read more or add your comments...

You're follow up post is time stamped Sunday, Jul 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM and we try to take Sunday off as it's not healthy to work 7 days a week.

In general... discussion forums are not really set-up to be instantaneous sources of information although we do our best to answer questions as soon as they're posted except for Saturday's and Sundays.

Thanks for understanding.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Right, sorry for the quick bump...I thought it had been a few days....I have too many posts in too many forums.

Anyways, thanks for the responses.....

Comment

No problemo

Just don't want anyone to think we're slacking off...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I recommend your going to Eastwood automotive restoration website.

They have several rust treatments.

rust is often "in the grain" of the metal, sanding helps but not to the root of it.

NAPA is another place to get good products.

Maybe a friend has some to "borrow". since you only need a spoonful.

Comment

Rust Mort works great it kills the rust but a little messy you have to wipe it off after it dries or rinse it off with water I have used it and it is expensive but worth it because it works. The thing with POR 15 is that it can not be exposed to UV light that is what i was told. I put POR 15 in my trunk of my T-Bird and I had narly rust It is a thick paint and it gets brushed on or a spray I think. I have used it and it does stop rust that is why I use it I was told to use it by a pro restoration automotive guy. The black paint is the POR15 and I have the entire trunk painted with it. You have to sand the spot down first.
                      Alex
                      1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                      1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');