• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carpet / Upholstery using ShopVac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet / Upholstery using ShopVac?

Anyone do interior details with only a wet/dry vacuum and a garden sprayer?

I've owned a Bissel consumer "carpet steamer" and was left far from impressed. The Rug Doctor is a much better performer, with its 2-stage motor and better built components. But it cost $35 to rent, or $700 to buy.

So I'm thinking of a process as follows:
    1) Use the sprayer to wet the carpet with cleaner (my favourite is OxiClean
    2) Scrub with a brush
    3) Vacuum
    4) Rewet with plain hot water to rinse
    5) Final vac

I've got a pretty powerful 6hp (I know the ratings are not REAL horsepower) vacuum, so it should make the extraction process pretty quick.

What do you guys think? Anyone use a similar process?

Re: Carpet / Upholstery using ShopVac?

i have used the rug doctor on my seats (we can borrow it free from the supermarket i work for), i have never used a wet/dry vac, i think the process is fine, spray agitate, and extract.

Comment

I have a Numatic George that I use for cleaning my carpets and seats. I bought the full kit version that came with a smaller extraction head for use in cars and it works a treat. It came with a bottle of Dr Carpet as well as Numatics own fluid so I am using those for now but I am keen to try some APC with it. My method for cleaning is,

1) Vacuum
      2) Spray with fluid (using the pressure squirt from George) and work in with the extraction head. No reason why you can't spray the fluid and work with a brush instead.
      3) Extract
      4) Repeat 2 & 3 if needed

It brings the seats and carpets up like new and the wet extraction gets all the sand type grit out of the carpet that normal vacuuming can struggle to lift. I don't go back over my work with water and have no problem with the cleaned surfaces attracting stains or excess dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyJ View Post
        Anyone do interior details with only a wet/dry vacuum and a garden sprayer?

I've owned a Bissel consumer "carpet steamer" and was left far from impressed. The Rug Doctor is a much better performer, with its 2-stage motor and better built components. But it cost $35 to rent, or $700 to buy.

So I'm thinking of a process as follows:
        1) Use the sprayer to wet the carpet with cleaner (my favourite is OxiClean
        2) Scrub with a brush
        3) Vacuum
        4) Rewet with plain hot water to rinse
        5) Final vac

I've got a pretty powerful 6hp (I know the ratings are not REAL horsepower) vacuum, so it should make the extraction process pretty quick.

What do you guys think? Anyone use a similar process?
        Yes, it works well. I used an extractor nozzel after agitaing the carpet with a brush and cleaner/water. Then lightly wet and extract till cleaner is removed. Just dont over saturate the are. Also, make sure to check with the owners manual, as some wet/dry vac direct you to remove the filter before heavy water usage.

Comment

I have only ever used a shop vac for carpet and seats and door panels.

1 vac throughly
          2 pretreat stains with your choice water based gp cleaner
          3 small bucket 1/3 full hot water
          4 light spray small area with gp cleaner
          5 dip scrub brush in hot water shake off excess and scrub area
          6 shop vac throughly
          7 dry with clean light colored towel, the towel will do 2 key things 1 dry area and 2 pull dirt from carpet or fabric.
          8 repeat process until towel stays clean after wipe

when you use to much liquid, water or cleaner th dirt is trapped and after it dries it returns to the surface.

Comment

Almost forgot, change water in bucket it will get very dirty quickly.

Comment

Up until the last couple of months I've only ever used a shopvac. But then I got the Little green Machine from Wal-Mart. The thing is great. $85.
              check out some of the posts from either KerrinJeff or audionutmike (me) to see what I'm talking about.
              Hope this helps
              The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

i have used the wet/dry vac b4 ...with some nice results...remmeber to not over wet ....brushing will help lift stains definetly.....i too use a wet/moist rag to remove dirt plus it helps on the drying .......oh yeah and with 5hp and up you should be fine.....

Comment

I also use the shop vac as my extractor.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                    I also use the shop vac as my extractor.
                    Same here. I never needed to do a "complete" interior upholstery cleaning(luckily). Only spot cleaning and my Rigid shop Vac works great. I would like to get a Bissil LGM. Royj, if you plan on doing a lot of interiors, try to save up the money to buy a good quality cleaner. Just like any tool, you'll appreciate it every time you use it.

Comment

I have in the past also used the wet/dry shop vacs to do interior cleaning. This was also for only the small spot treatments or only floor matts. I ended up not liking the end results as it took to long to try and get the interiors to my standard. I purchased a Durrmaid extractor from ADS about 2 1/2 years ago and have never gone back to the wet/dry vac for anything other than vacuuming up loose dirt in the interior.

Andrew
                      2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Originally posted by onawrxhigh View Post
                        I have in the past also used the wet/dry shop vacs to do interior cleaning. This was also for only the small spot treatments or only floor matts. I ended up not liking the end results as it took to long to try and get the interiors to my standard. I purchased a Durrmaid extractor from ADS about 2 1/2 years ago and have never gone back to the wet/dry vac for anything other than vacuuming up loose dirt in the interior.

Andrew
                        Yeah, the results are decent for spots treatment but I don't use it for anything other then that. The only thing the shop vav does is remove the dirty water/cleaner anyway. The spot will be completely removed(hopefully) by hand. A real extractor/clean will allow you to do it all and is obviously the way to go. I actually looked into the Durrmaid in the past. Looks real good. A little pricey but worth the money I'm sure. I wouldn't do an entire interior with out one like that or similar.

Comment

When people think of carpet cleaning they must know these methods of cleaning...as some got confused it with steam cleaning...

1) FOAM CLEANING
                          2) SHAMPOO METHOD
                          3) BONNET CLEANING
                          4) DRY METHODS
                          5) STEAM CLEANING
                          carpet cleaning pa

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');