• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches in plastic bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches in plastic bumper

Ah, life.

My 2 month old already has some (minor) scratched on the bumper.

Bumper is, of course, plastic. Colour is black and scratch is showing white. They are fairly fine straight lines.

Now, my first reaction is to use a fine tipped black marker to fill it in. But, I was wondering if there is anything else that would be better.

Re: Scratches in plastic bumper

Our best product for this would be Gold Class Trim Detailer

Gold Class Trim Detailer

Of course it's not going to remove the scratches just give the plastic a new looking sheen and it will make the scratch with its whitish color less noticeable.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

This is black textured plastic, not black painted plastic?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I believe it is painted. 2008 Honda Accord

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Our best product for this would be Gold Class Trim Detailer

Of course it's not going to remove the scratches just give the plastic a new looking sheen and it will make the scratch with its whitish color less noticeable.

If I am using Quick Detailer (or UQD) should I use this on the trim instead?

Comment

I believe Mike was thinking that it was one of those textrued kind of bumpers.

If you have black paint, with white paint showing, that means the scratch is down to the primer, or even metal. And just to be clear, it actualy is white paint showing, not like a white reflection from a deep swirl mark?

How bad/big are these scratches? You probably need to go shopping for some touch-up paint.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Stock honda bumpers are usually molded black.

If it is textured black like on say a DX model it would be unpainted black urethane "rubber like plastic". Painted bumpers are gloss black or what ever body color. If the bumper is matted texture and the body is glossy then it is most likely an unpainted part.

There are some paint scratch repair kits, basically fill in the crack or chip in one or more layers, polish with 1000 then 2500 wet sand and polish out.

Of course a marker takes 30 seconds, try it, you can always redo the marker mark.

On the bumper- ask the local honda body shop for some info.

Comment

Oh I should have known better to ask the OP to clarify...

Most bumpers are Painted Plastic so when you're working on them you're working on Paint, not Plastic.

Just another case of typing too fast... (Monday's are catch-up days)

If your bumpers are painted then treat them like paint, looks like enough people have given you the information you need to get started, be sure to read this however...

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks to all. Sorry if I was not clear. The Accord is black and the bumper is gloss black, and from what I can see painted. The scratches are not deep. My worry was if I used something like ScratchX, it would not work on plastic. As suggested, I will try the fineline marker. I should be able to fill the scratches with this.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by gwinegarden View Post
                    Thanks to all. Sorry if I was not clear. The Accord is black and the bumper is gloss black, and from what I can see painted. The scratches are not deep. My worry was if I used something like ScratchX, it would not work on plastic. As suggested, I will try the fineline marker. I should be able to fill the scratches with this.

Cheers!
                    A black Sharpie Marker will be a fast solution that will make the eyesore go away and because it's a plastic bumper you won't have to worry about a rust problem.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just as a note, you can use scratch-x on the painted plastic. Ive been polishing painted plastic on my Jeep for two days now.
                      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');