• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAQ: What are the differences between Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ: What are the differences between Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products?

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products
    Here is the complete collection of products Meguiar's offers for working with clear plastics both by hand and machine.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish

The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar’s Plastic Polish provides the second step in our two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with our M-1708 Plastic Cleaner. You will reveal the materials natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner

Safely removes hairline scratches, dirt and grime. Clear plastic that has lost its clarity due to significant contamination and fine scratches should be treated using our two-step process. Meguiar’s non-abrasive, alcohol-free Plastic Cleaner aggressively cleans and removes scratches without harming the surface. Follow up with our M-1008 Plastic Polish for a perfect finish.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer

A single-step solution that keeps clear plastic surfaces pristine. Regain the original crystalline clarity of plastic in need of restoration, using this convenient all-in-one product specially formulated by Meguiar’s. Simply spray it on and wipe it dry. You will safely remove surface contamination and achieve dramatic results on everything from window panels and instrument lenses to eyeglasses, CD's and picture frames.

PlastX

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, (MDAT), removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meguiar's teaches the philosophy of using the least aggressive product to get the job done. We also teach that surfaces, in this case clear plastic, need to be maintained. Maintaining a surface is an ongoing process, not a one time procedure. Thus in order of aggressiveness...

M10 Plastic Polish - Completely non-aggressive. This is a pure polish that is formulated to restore optical clarity and maintain clear plastic surfaces. M10 Plastic Polish should be used on plastic surfaces in excellent shape to maintain them, and/or after a neglected plastic surface has been pre-cleaned using a dedicated plastic cleaner such as M17 Plastic Cleaner, or PlastX. M10 Plastic polish leaves behind an anti-static surface.

M17 Plastic Cleaner - M17 is a light cleaning polish for clear plastics, it is non-abrasive and and perfect for removing stains, light oxidation and other contaminants off the surface. It can remove very light scratches out of soft plastics when worked thoroughly but gently against the surface. After cleaning with PlastX, for maximum optical clarity and to leave an anti-static finish, apply M10 Plastic Polish.

PlastX - PlastX is a unique plastic cleaner in that it contains a special microscopic diminishing abrasive that enables it to actually remove below surface scratches by removing small particles of plastic surrounding the scratches. After cleaning with PlastX, for maximum optical clarity and to leave an anti-static finish, apply M10 Plastic Polish.

Besides your choice of product, your choice of applicator material can also effect the aggressiveness or gentleness of a product. Meguiar's Hi-Tech Foam Wax applicators are a good choice for gentle cleaning and polishing. For more aggressive cleaning and polishing, try using a material with a nap such as 100% cotton toweling, or our Even Coat Applicators made out of microfiber.

Because clear plastic surfaces tend to be scratch-sensitive, remember that not only is your choice of product and applicator material important, but just as important is the quality and type of removal material, in other words, your wipe-off clothes or towels. For clear plastic surfaces, always use a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth, or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. Inspect your wiping-cloth before using to insure it is clean and free from contaminants and anything that cold instill a scratch into the plastic surface.

When working on plastic surfaces for the first time, and whenever you use a product for the first time, it's always a good idea to test the product, your applicator material and your application process, (In this case your hand and your skill level), in an inconspicuous area. If you cannot make a small area look good with your product, applicator and process, you will not be able to make the entire surface look good, so test first to be an the safe side.

Re: FAQ: What are the differences between Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products?

Thank you that is some great info.

Comment

NP. I remembered that I pulled that off of the "old new" forum before it was gone and thought I'd stick it back up on the site.

Comment

I never really knew what the differences where between the Mirror Glaze products.
        Scott

Comment

Would any of these products be appropriate for red plastic. I own an S2000.

(This is not my car but a pic I found on the internet, but mine is black.) As you can see, on the top rear edge of the trunk there is a red strip of red plastic which houses a bulb that goes on when one hits the brakes. Can PlastX be safely applied to this red plastic? TIA.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Yes, PlastX could be used, though as always just try a small corner first. If it just needs protected, wax would be fine.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

OK, so I just bought M10 Plastic Polish and not PlastX. Is this a mistake? Will I be able to correct scratched and hazy headlights using a foam applicator by hand? According to the description given above, I understand that M10 is a lot less aggresive than PlastX and can't handle the job. Did I waste my money?

Comment

Originally posted by 1999grad View Post
                OK, so I just bought M10 Plastic Polish and not PlastX. Is this a mistake? Will I be able to correct scratched and hazy headlights using a foam applicator by hand? According to the description given above, I understand that M10 is a lot less aggresive than PlastX and can't handle the job. Did I waste my money?
                M10 Plastic Polish - Completely non-aggressive. This is a pure polish that is formulated to restore optical clarity and maintain clear plastic surfaces.

I dont believe that m10 will help with what your looking to do. It would be a great way to maintain a good finish. Depending on the severity of the haze and scratches plastX may do the trick or you may need to use more aggressive methods.

Do some reading and try to determine what you would be comfortable with.Or maybe start a thread with some pictures in the plastic detailing section and someone will chip in some advice.

Comment

Great info. thanks for sharing. thought that Plastx is protecting the surface. now I need to get M10.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    NP. I remembered that I pulled that off of the "old new" forum before it was gone and thought I'd stick it back up on the site.
                    I have the original and will format and restore pictures and then upload.

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                    Would any of these products be appropriate for red plastic. I own an S2000.

(This is not my car but a pic I found on the Internet, but mine is black.) As you can see, on the top rear edge of the trunk there is a red strip of red plastic which houses a bulb that goes on when one hits the brakes. Can PlastX be safely applied to this red plastic? TIA.
                    PlastX can be used to restore clarity if these components are dull or hazy by working the product against the surface. If you just want to "Maintain" plastic already in great shape then apply PlastX gently or use M10 Plastic Polish.

Originally posted by 1999grad View Post
                    OK, so I just bought M10 Plastic Polish and not PlastX. Is this a mistake? Will I be able to correct scratched and hazy headlights using a foam applicator by hand? According to the description given above, I understand that M10 is a lot less aggressive than PlastX and can't handle the job. Did I waste my money?
                    M10 Plastic polish as mac1589 states below is a "pure polish", that means it's non-abrasive and is used to "maintain" optical clarity of plastic already in great shape to start with. Sounds like you need PlastX, you can find PlastX at jut about any auto parts store.

Originally posted by mac1589 View Post
                    M10 Plastic Polish - Completely non-aggressive. This is a pure polish that is formulated to restore optical clarity and maintain clear plastic surfaces.

I dont believe that M10 will help with what your looking to do. It would be a great way to maintain a good finish. Depending on the severity of the haze and scratches PlastX may do the trick or you may need to use more aggressive methods.
                    The above is all correct, in most cases PlastX will tackle just about anything that can be saved, if PlastX can't save it then it may require sanding if that's safe for whatever it is you're working on.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');