• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLEX XC 3401 VRG Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLEX XC 3401 VRG Polisher

FLEX XC 3401 VRG Polisher

I have read a lot of the threads here and just wanted people who have one or have seen it in live action to speak up. I was all setup to order the G110 from ADS but I wanted a Flex as soon as I heard about it. I'm not a leaper so it takes me a while to make up my mind. Anway, some general questions on:

ease of use-

operationg temps -

learning curve -

issues besides older MG pad cutting -

anyone had to call customer service - (how was it)

If you were going to purchase a Makita 9227CX3 anyway but you know you can't use it until you get good - what would be the better buy for you?
    (really me)

G110 or Flex

Re: FLEX XC 3401 VRG Polisher

I have a G100 and a rotary but I really leaning towards getting a Flex too.

It's like the story of the three bears. G100 doesn't have enough power sometimes, the rotary has too much and scares me but the Flex is right in the middle.

Here's a link to a video so you can see one in action and hear it. Link
    Scott

Comment

Yeah I can't see the video but if it's the guy with the vehicle tapped off on the side with the time stamp at the end then I have seen that one and that's one of the reasons i'm leaning that way. I was going to purchase a Makita out the box but after reading over the site I realized that would be a bad idea. So that's why I was going to purchase the G110 to use during my details right now but I work outside right now and had waxing is teaching me that the spring chicken has left the building or has the door open.

Comment

***Bump***

Comment

I tried out a flex last weekend and loved it. I use a rotary most of the time and the PC alot too. The Flex has a nice feel to it and has plenty of power.

We split the car and did half with a rotary and half with a flex, using the same pads and products. Both sides came out equally good.

The only downside is the price. I paid $60 for my Vector rotary and love it, so it's hard to cough up over $200 for the flex. If you don't yet have a rotary or PC, I think the Flex is an excellent choice and will give you the most bang for the buck in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by jmitch8011 View Post
            I have read a lot of the threads here and just wanted people who have one or have seen it in live action to speak up. I was all setup to order the G110 from ADS but I wanted a Flex as soon as I heard about it. I'm not a leaper so it takes me a while to make up my mind. Anway, some general questions on:

ease of use- takes some adjustment because it does act like a rotary in that it pulls and needs to be controlled, but isn't as bad as a rotary pulling and is still safe for the paint

operationg temps - I'm not sure if you're talking about paint or machine... paint might get hot in some cases but I never experienced anything than just a bit warm to the touch

learning curve - As stated above, if you've used a PC, this will take a bit getting used to as it needs to be controlled in order to move where you want it to move, as opposed to just pushing/pulling the PC wherever you want... oh and this also spins counter-clockwise, so it might be a bit weird at first but you won't notice it after 15-20 hours of polishing (continuous or non haha)

issues besides older MG pad cutting - I didn't experience any issues

anyone had to call customer service - (how was it) didn't call at all

If you were going to purchase a Makita 9227CX3 anyway but you know you can't use it until you get good - what would be the better buy for you?
            (really me)

G110 or Flex...

I would definitely go with the Flex because it'll give you a good idea for what's to come with the movement of the machine, plus you'll be on the safe side of paint correction yet still do a great job while learning the Makita on the side
            If you're not detailing a lot of vehicles and you're not going for speed, Flex is a great tool for correction, etc. I've had all three and just sold the Flex to buy a G110 and use along with my Makita... I replaced the Flex with the G110 simply because I only use G110 as a backup for those picky paints that won't finish hologram free with the rotary. This way flex was sitting way too much and a tool that good and expensive should be used and used often. So as I said above, Flex is a great starting tool, especially if you plan on moving to a rotary. Once you move to the rotary your Flex will be great as a back-up or vice-versa
            Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
            Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

How did you like using it on side panels?

Comment

I used the Flex on the same Mustang that Jeff (KerrinJeff) was talking about, I don't think that there was much of a learning curve with it. That being said I'm fairly new with using machines instead of my hands, so I can't comment on what the curve will be like for someone who has used the rotary for so long they could do it in their sleep. Might be awkward "going backwards". Anyway, you can check it out in this thread

There is a shot (pg 3)of the left front fender before and after, the after shot is sectioned for rotary and the flex. I think the flex looks better. This was one pass with 105. Granted they had different pads so maybe I'm wasting everybody's time , comparing apples and oranges????

I thought the flex did an excellent job overall, in fact I ordered mine this a.m. and can't wait to put it to work!!

Just my .02. Thanks for reading!
                The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmitch8011 View Post
                  How did you like using it on side panels?
                  I'm not sure how to answer that haha... flex on side panels vs. flex on horizontal panels is directly proportional to makita/cp on side panels vs. makita/cp on horizontal panels

In other words, it was just a bit harder to use on side as it is on horizontal panels, just as with any other polisher... no "special" issues for the sides
                  Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                  Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

hey thanks! My mom always told me to look before you leap! Ok she never said that it was more like why didn't you look before you leaped but anyway, I will be purchasing one of these puppies and playing with it on my scion tc to start. I got a nasty scuff from a phantom motoriest about two weeks ago. i didn't post pics because i'm not going to fix it by hand pending advice of course. I'm trying to get the machine rushed but I guess i better wait my turn.

Comment

lecchilo - you said -

If you're not detailing a lot of vehicles and you're not going for speed, Flex is a great tool for correction

can you expand on that thought if I was going for speed in some cases? I'm actually working to start a business so this would be my starting too. I was actually leaning more to the Flex because of the speed at which it could do the same job as the G110.

Comment

If you've never used a machine before than go with the G110 or Flex. If money is a concern then the G110. If your thinking your going to start a detailing business go with the Flex.

You have to make up your own mind but if I was in your place based on the information you have provided, I would get a Flex.

Don't worry too much about making the 'wrong' choice. They are all good machines and can work wonders in trained hands.
                        Scott

Comment

Thanks. I have always wanted to correct paint by machine but only had 1 touch here and there at a dealership on my car about 9 years ago. I read about the g100 and then got more active on this site since I want to kick this business off. I was holding back from the flex because of the cost but everyone including the pm people have really given me great advice.

Comment

Hey I'm new to detailing.

You guys are saying the flex has enough power to do the same as a rotary? And just not as fast if you're real good with a rotary?

Just trying to clarify. I might buy one if it will replace both. Even if it is a little slower than a rotary, because I don't have either.

Someone mentioned you have to use old pads? Which ones?

Comment

I have the Dewalt rotary, FLEX, and PC. I can live without the FLEX but not the other two. That being said, I think the FLEX fits nicely in the middle and cuts buffing time down where you would normally use a G110/PC unit. I have also used the FLEX with M105/W-8006 and removed some pretty deep scratches with very little effort.

Only issue I had was the felt gasket melting to the backing plate. I've removed the gasked and it seems fine now. I will be getting a replacement BP and gasket soon. Others have had the same issue and said that customer service was great.

Rasky
                              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');