• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Honda Odyssey Nasty Deep Scratch and bumper damage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Honda Odyssey Nasty Deep Scratch and bumper damage...

Anyone who can help me to revive the paint of honda Odessey 2006 Nimbu gray metallic. it has bunch of deep scratch and also got an accident last year on the bumper. I tried to clean it last week and I bought a #2 - Fine-Cut Cleaner , unfortunately I dont have a polisher/orbital buffer thing, so I used my hands to buff, it helps but it didnt actually remove those fine scratches, and im planning to buy an orbital polisher to do this. I would appreciate all advice, step by step procedure, tools, products and help here in this forum.

Here are the pics:

Sample of Scratch # 889

Front bumper scratc, hit others car when trying to park... oh boy.

Left bumper bumped on maximas front ( the blue paint was from its plate)

Close up look of Left Bumper

Right Bumper

Right Bumper

Re: Help! Honda Odyssey Nasty Deep Scratch and bumper damage...

Just a friendly tip on sharing photos on discussion forums.

I have a 21" monitor with the resolution set to 1280 x 1024 and I find I'm having to horizontal scroll in order to see all of the shot in some of the pictures you've posted.

A good rule of thumb is to resize your photos to around 700 pixels wide, maybe 800 pixels wide if your really want to show a large photo. By doing this, the majority of the people in the world will be able to see the entire picture without having to horizontal scroll.

Anytime someone has to horizontal scroll to see an entire picture they can't really see the entire picture because as they scroll to one side on their monitor to see what's not on the screen, a portion of the picture on the opposite side of the screen is disappearing off the monitor. Therefor they can never really see the entire photo which kind of takes away from the value of the photo and usually the goal of the poster, (to show a photo, not a portion of a photo)

Just a friendly tip...

This is 700 pixels wide

This is 800 pixels wide

Both photos were resized from the original using a free software program called Easy Thumbnails which really works great to resize photos without distorting them.

Here's a short how-to article on how to use this software to insure great results starting the first time you use it.

How to resize your photos before uploading

This will help you on any forum you post to.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Since this isn't a "Hot Topics" article we're going to move it out of "Hot Topics and since it's a question we're going to move it to Detailing 101.

Thanks....

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks mike

Comment

Originally posted by glenndale View Post

I tried to clean it last week and I bought a #2 - Fine-Cut Cleaner , unfortunately I dont have a polisher/orbital buffer thing, so I used my hands to buff, it helps but it didnt actually remove those fine scratches, and im planning to buy an orbital polisher to do this.

I would appreciate all advice, step by step procedure, tools, products and help here in this forum.
          Orbital polishers like these won't help to remove scratches like you have in your Honda.

Sealy Orbital Polisher

WEN Orbital Polisher

Vector Orbital Polisher

Dual Action Polishers like these won't do much either,

Meguiar's G110

Meguiar's G100a - The letter "a" indicates this was sold with a backing plate, one W-8006 foam pad.

Meguiar's G100 - With no letter "a" after the part number this indicates this was sold as the polisher only, no backing plate, no pad but other than that the tool is identical to the G100a

UDM - Ultimate Detailing Machine - This is copy of the Porter Cable Unit

Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher

The scratches you're showing us are too deep and in order to remove them you need to do some advanced procedures that require wet-sanding and the using a rotary buffer to remove your sanding marks.

This will take you,

Time
          Money
          Experience

It would be faster and cheaper to purchase a quart of our new M105 Ultra Cut Compound and apply this new compound by hand. This will remove most of the scratches.

See this, although it's a bird dropping etching the same technique and product applies to removing scratches.
          How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

and this,
          M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New

As for the touch-up paint you've applied, it looks like the wrong color, besides that doing touch-up work is as complicated as you want to make it. It's not easy, it's not fast. If it was easy and fast you would find detail shops offering it as a service and you don't find this, at least very often and it's not cheap.

If this is your "toy" as in not your daily driving grocery getter but your "toy" then you can do a search using the below search terms and you can find some threads that already talk about how to do touch-up paint work.

(Note the hyphen, try both ways of spelling the below terms when you search)

Touch-up
          Rock-Chip
          Touch up
          Rock Chip
          Crafts Supply
          Artists Paint Brush

Advanced Search

Be sure to take some before and after photos and show us how your results turn out...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by glenndale View Post
            thanks mike
            Wasn't done yet... some replies are faster to type than others...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The scratches you're showing us are too deep and in order to remove them you need to do some advanced procedures that require wet-sanding and the using a rotary buffer to remove your sanding marks.

This will take you,

Time
              Money
              Experience

It would be faster and cheaper to purchase a quart of our new M105 Ultra Cut Compound and apply this new compound by hand. This will remove most of the scratches.

See this, although it's a bird dropping etching the same technique and product applies to removing scratches.
              How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

and this,
              M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New

As for the touch-up paint you've applied, it looks like the wrong color, besides that doing touch-up work is as complicated as you want to make it. It's not easy, it's not fast. If it was easy and fast you would find detail shops offering it as a service and you don't find this, at least very often and it's not cheap.

If this is your "toy" as in not your daily driving grocery getter but your "toy" then you can do a search using the below search terms and you can find some threads that already talk about how to do touch-up paint work.

(Note the hyphen, try both ways of spelling the below terms when you search)

Touch-up
              Rock-Chip
              Touch up
              Rock Chip
              Crafts Supply
              Artists Paint Brush

Advanced Search

Be sure to take some before and after photos and show us how your results turn out...

Oooops. Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your help. Actually this is not my toy car, its my in laws van, and they are daily driver, its just that i want to have experience in reapairing this kind of problems, so that in the future i have a knowledge to do this kind of job... for the before and after photos, for sure i will post it here....

Comment

Hello Im back.... ok I will put the pictures of scratche that was fixed last saturday. we clean the van, applied DC paint cleaner, #2 - Fine-Cut Cleaner tried to remove scratches and also we waxed it by #26 - Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. We only used 8" Orbital buffer. We fixed some of fine scratches and minimize some serious scratches. Anyway here's the pics of the one that we fixed using #2 with orbital buffer...

on this one only the blue scratches has been removed ( i will upload soon the AFTER pics)

Comment

And here are some of the images of the one that we just minimized the scratches...

Unfortunately we cannot do much on this scratches using #2 and ORB buffer. And as of now I dont have money to buy those rotary buffers, and also thos m105. Is there any other way I can do/use to fix this deep scratches using hand/ Orb buffer? Would colorX or scratch X would do the job? I've heard that you can use this by hands? Can anyone help/recommend/suggest/advice me step by step to go through on this paint correction? I will do this part by part like every other day. Cause Im really a busy person, and I dont have time to this all of this in one shot...

Comment

While searching the word "Horizontal Scroll" I noticed your follow-up to this thread...

did you ever get these scratches removed or improved?

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

***Bump***
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');