• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of buckets for Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of buckets for Detailing

I just wanted to know how many buckets most people use to detail an average sized vehicle(car / truck/ suv)? I have about five or six 5 gal buckets.
    1 - 1st wash
    1 - 2nd wash (will change this method)
    1 - engine
    1 - underbody
    1 - soak used cloths and applicators
    1 - absober (body) after dry remove and replace with 2nd absober (jams & rims(dry only))

Re: Number of buckets for Detailing

1 - Wheels
    1 - Rinse Water (I use a foam gun so no soap bucket)

Rinse out wheel bucket, throw in applicators to soak overnight later.

A bucket for collecting towels and such is a good idea if you have no where else to place them.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I was reading a thread about the foam gun but didn't really get the full understanding. Is it kind of like when you lather up a rag to the point where you have more soap lather then you have water on the rag to put on your body? (hope I spelled that right) So by doing this you use less water?

Comment

3 buckets for me.
        1. soap water
        2. Rinse water
        3. Wheel bucket

I bought a collapsible mesh hamper at the dollar store. I use this to bring the towels up to wash them.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by jmitch8011 View Post
          I was reading a thread about the foam gun but didn't really get the full understanding. Is it kind of like when you lather up a rag to the point where you have more soap lather then you have water on the rag to put on your body? (hope I spelled that right) So by doing this you use less water?
          Ummm... I'm gonna say not quite to that analogy.

You can kind of use it different ways...

1. Some people will use a very high soap ratio, and then kind of pre-soak the car in a real thick foam that will cling, in theory loosening the dirt before washing. Unless the car is really filthy in winter, I don't bother with pre-soaking. Then they might wash with the bucket method, or move onto to washing with the gun as well.

2. After hosing the car off, I just go right to washing with the foam gun. I just set the ratio up so that it is pretty close to the recommended ratio, and the gun just churns up the soap/water mixture as it is shot out. So there is still a lot of water coming out, and it isn't a thick heavy clinging foam, more of a watery foam. I just spray the panel (or half roof, etc), spray the sponge, and wash that area. Its just enough foam to stick for a few seconds so I can get my sponge onto the soap and wipe the area before the soapy water runs off.

I always felt like my soapy water (and thus lubrication) was falling off my sponge and running off the panel before I could catch it just using a soapy water bucket. Maybe it is just me being crazy...

It probably uses a bit more water.... But I figure I use about 5 ounces of soap, and close to the right ratio, it is about gone by the end of washing. So it should be about 5 gallons of water used. Certainly more soap and water if pre-soaking....
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
            3 buckets for me.
            1. soap water
            2. Rinse water
            3. Wheel bucket

This is what I do too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooz View Post
              This is what I do too.
              me too....
              Bill Poirier
              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Yep. Same here. 3 buckets on usual occasion.

3 buckets for me.
                1. soap water
                2. Rinse water
                3. Wheel bucket

I bought a collapsible mesh hamper at the dollar store. I use this to bring the towels up to wash them.
                Learning new things everyday

Comment

I have a dedicated 2 gallon bucket used for wheels,tires and wheelwells and 5 gallon bucket dedicated for paint only.

I also have two gallon bucket that i put a little water in and put sprayer in between handle and bucket this way ot never touches the concrete.

Comment

i use one, i know i need a second, but I wash the wheels with one bucket, then dump and rinse, and use it again for the body
                    2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

1. soap bucket
                      2. rinse bucket

I wait till after I wash the entire vehicle to do the wheels and tires. Then I just use a separate mitt but the same soap bucket to do the wheels. When i'm done, my buckets get washed too.

Comment

4 buckets for me.

1. Soap water
                        2. Rinse water
                        3. Wheel bucket
                        4. Bucket with seat lid (for when my back is killing me)

Comment

Yeah I need that seat lid. I did some wheels that didn't want to come clean. I sat down on the bucket and it was worse than standing lol. Thanks for all the responses. That helps me figure if I want to change my method.

Comment

[QUOTE=J. A. Michaels;228380]3 buckets for me.
                            1. soap water
                            2. Rinse water
                            3. Wheel bucket

QUOTE]

Same here
                            The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                            Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

3 buckets for me.
                              1. soap water
                              2. Rinse water
                              3. Wheel bucket
                              Same here
                              The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                              Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                              If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');