• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - Swirls on a black car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Swirls on a black car

hello.. i really need help with this..
    my car has a lot of swirls and scratches.. hole car!!
    in the shadow you can´t see them.. but in sunlight.. oh my god.. there´s a zilion!!
    after wash and clay.. i used scratchX on the hood, 2, 3 times.. it removed most part of the swirls, but still has some.. i´ve been thinking if i should keep using scratchX or if it´s better try to use other product like #82 or #80.. what do you think???

other question is.. i know that scratchX doesn´t need to dry to wipe off.. but it needs to wipe off immediatelly? i mean.. can i work until the scratchx almolst dry?? any problems doing that? because i´m affraid to live a new marks in the paint and maybe i´m wiping off without work on like i should..

the pictures..

the hood

i think that just scratchx will not to resolve the problem.. that i need to use other product like #80 or #82..

what can i do to remove this swirls completely?

thanks.

Re: Help - Swirls on a black car

I think you'd need at least #83 on a light cutting pad with a PC or better yet a rotary. Those are pretty severe.

Comment

You want to work ScratchX until it is a greasy clear color, then remove. The car should more or less be rocking on the springs as you work it in.

Are you only working by hand? #195 is a good product to also use by hand, but is probably not available to you in small amounts.

If you are working by machine, you can move up to other products, but by hand, ScratchX and #105 are about it.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Looks like you've been washing it with a steel wool pad?

Man that's bad...

If you're doing all your work by hand then you really need to get your hands on a quart of M105 Ultra Cut Compound. You can completely rub this clear coat out to like-new condition with the M105 and a little passion and perspiration.

You need to find out if the nearest dealer for Meguiar's Professional Products carries this new compound.

Check out page 2 of the below thread... it's a BDER, (bird dropping etching removal), but the same idea applies to removing swirls...

Open Class - Pictures & Comments - June 28th, 2008

Before

After

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Kerrinjef.. the swirls marks seems pretty severe.. but they won´t.. if you note, the places that the sunlight is not directly on the paint you´ll not see the swirls.. if doesn´t have a light directly you can´t see anything.. that´s the reason i didn´t use a product more abrasive yet..

Murr1525.. i´m working by hand.. as i said to Kerrinjef the swirls are not to severe.. you still think that i should use #105?? i know the photo is impressive.. but the swilrls are not too deep as it seems.. in this case the #105 isn´t too abrasive?
          maybe i can try to work scratchx and take a new picture.. what do you think?

about scratchX.. when you said "The car should more or less be rocking on the springs as you work it in" you mean that i need to press harder?? sorry for this question.. is just because i´m not so good in english yet..

thanks for your help guys..

Comment

You can work the product in with no pressure, but to remove swirls you have to remove some paint. So it takes a good bit of energy and pressure to do so. Dont bend the panel of course....
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ariel_carA_ View Post

you still think that i should use #105??
              Take a moment to read page two and the section about using ScratchX versus M105 to remove the bird dropping etching. The speed and effectiveness of M105 as it relates to removing below surface defects is so dramatic that it's really the way to tackle a finish in this condition.

You don't have to work it as hard or use as many applications to get the same results. You do still have to work a small section at a time, but it's so much faster and effective that it will be worth doing whatever it takes to get a quarto of this new product with the new abrasive technology into your hands.

I have a car to wet-sand, cut and polish this week and there are going to be areas where I can't safely remove the sanding marks using a rotary buffer. Normally the rule-of-thumb most people go by is this,

"Don't sand any areas where you can't safely get your buffing pad"

So these areas usually don't get sanded and retain their orange peel texture. With M105 you have a solution to the problem, you can safely sand any where you can get your fingers to rub out the sanding marks by hand.

Removing the swirls in your car can be done a multiple variety of ways including ScratchX, M105 will be faster but if you can only get ScratchX and you're working by hand then just tackle a panel a day, applying the product multiple times to small sections and overlapping your sections until you've rubbed out the entire panel.

Originally posted by ariel_carA_ View Post

in this case the #105 isn´t too abrasive?
              For most people, when they hear the word abrasive their mind usually thinks of a gritty, scratchy product similar to beach sand, but when it comes to Meguiar's products and especially M105 this just isn't the case.

It's a different type of technology and it's only as abrasive as you need it to by and that's because you can control how much paint you're removing by controlling and tempering your process in all the available ways possible to you.

Hat's off to our chemists... M105 is in one word... amazing.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

@ariel
                that's really severe swirl and scratches. i think you should try 105.

@Mike Phillips
                That bird droppings really annoying. No 105 is a magic potion... Really perfect result.

Comment

lol.. thanks again..
                  now i have a big problem.. cause here in brasil is really hard to find meguiars products.. and when you find they have some few..
                  just one store has some cleaners/polishes like #82 #83 #85.. but not #105..
                  i cant find #105 here
                  so i´ll have to work with scratchx only.. and try do the best..
                  i´ll do that part on the picture that seems really bad.. then i´ll post new pictures..

Comment

Originally posted by gioprivatemove View Post
                    @ariel
                    that's really severe swirl and scratches. i think you should try 105.
                    That's what we thought too...

It looks horrible!

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

mike phillips.. i´ve read page 2 and i understood your point.. thanks for showing that.. if i could.. after all your opinions i would use the #105 without any fear..
                      but.. as i said above.. in brasil doesn´t have #105 to buy.. so i can´t work with it

thank you guys very much for helping me.. i´ll do my best to repair the paint..

Comment

I've seen some bad paint....

but the car in your photos has got to be the worst I've seen in person and/or online! How was that thing washed? Sand and scotchbrite?

Best of luck fixing it up!
                        Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                        Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Your car does have a lot of swirls. Its a shame you can't use #105. Just try to do one section at a time with the scratch-x. It may take a couple of days to find. It will be worth it in the end. Good Luck.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Can you not import #105 into Brasil yourself? Buy it from an international trader and get it mailed to your home address?

It certainly sounds like just the right product and with all the little intricacies of detail and styling on the Ford Ka, you're going to have to do a lot of it by hand even if you did have a machine to help you out on the larger panels.

Best of luck ...

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');