• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self-Service Car Washes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Service Car Washes

Some areas in the country now are suffering from water restrictions, that sort of put a hamper on us car guys that don't detail for a living. In Charlotte, we can only wash our cars either Sat. or Sun., depending on whether your street address is an odd or even number. Half of the time, it either rains on the weekend, or I'm out of town! The city does allow us to visit self-service car washes.

Two questions about this...

Does anybody have experience with washing at a self-service car wash? Any techniques/tips to minimize the swirling and scratching caused by the foam brushes?

This might be a myth, but I swear the products strip a little bit of wax protection from the finish. I always find the car hard to dry after washing at self-service car washes. Water beading seems to decrease and the slickness on the finish decreases as well. Has anybody else had experience with this?

Thanks!
    1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Re: Self-Service Car Washes

Yup, they usually use harsh chemicals in their "soap" Id also skip using their brush all together. If you can bring your own and put it in a trash bag when you are done so you know its gonna stay cleaner. Still hate the thought of using a brush though.
    If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Check out a product called ONR (Optimum No Rinse)
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
        Check out a product called ONR (Optimum No Rinse)
        Looks interesting... I do like my Meguiar's stuff though.

I also know about hand washing there. It's hard to pull it off because by the time you need water again you have to waste another dollar.

Sigh, I guess I'll have to polish more often... that's not a bad thing of course.

Comment

The self-service by my house is pretty good. The owner lets you use your own stuff if you come in on non-peak hours. Ask the owner see what he says.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I used self service washes last year (moved into a townhouse early this year) I would go early so that I could use my own brush and chemicals
            K3AKE 147.555

Comment

Yup, if you go during a non-peak time I would ask if you could wash it by hand. Ive done it many times when I was in college. I would fill my bucket up in the dorm showers then carry it out to my Jeep. Spray it all off really well, wash it all, then rinse before it all dries. Its not the best way to do it since youre in a hurry which makes swirls more likely but youve got to do what you can.

I personally would spray it off with rinse water only then use a spot free rinse. Drive it home and use ONR to wash it. This method will keep swirls to a minimum. Only thing is people will not understand what youre doing and will say you are breaking the rules by washing your car. Sometimes ignorance is not bliss.
              Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepster04 View Post
                Only thing is people will not understand what youre doing and will say you are breaking the rules by washing your car. Sometimes ignorance is not bliss.
                Sorry for the question, but I have to ask since we don't have water restriction. What are the rules?

Comment

Originally posted by techjazz View Post
                  Yeah, but Meguiar's doesn't make a product like it.
                  AeroCleanse, LLC
                  Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                  www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
                    Yeah, but Meguiar's doesn't make a product like it.
                    Yet! Hint Hint Meguiar's!
                    Scott

Comment

When I use the coin-op I use the soap cycle and the rinse cycle. Then I use QEW (same type of stuff as ONR) either right at the car wash or at home. When I use QEW at the car wash, I take water from home in a five gallon gas can, a bucket for the QEW wash, a good wash mitt and a couple of microfiber towels. I wax my vehicles frequently so I am not too worried about the car wash soap. I've been using coin-ops as needed for a long time (about 45 years) and have never had all that much concern about the soap.

QEW (ONR) works great by itself if your vehicle is not really dirty. You do have to be careful.

Tom
                      Last edited by tguil; Jul 1, 2008, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techjazz View Post

I also know about hand washing there. It's hard to pull it off because by the time you need water again you have to waste another dollar.

Sigh, I guess I'll have to polish more often... that's not a bad thing of course.

Credit card ones are nice!

Go there early in the morning or late at night when there are no people and hand wash it.
                        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

techjazz...
                          I feel your pain!
                          I live in an apartment and the only place I can wash my truck is at the local coin operated carwash.
                          I just bring my buckets, mitt & shampoo and bucket wash it right there. I don't use the high pressure soap or that nasty brush hanging on the wall. They do have a low pressure, filtered rinse which I use.
                          I think most car washes are cool about bucket washing as long as your not holding up other customers.
                          The 5 gallon gas can filled with water from home sounds like a good idea. It takes about a dollar to fill my wash buckets at the car wash, so the gas can would pay for itself in no time.
                          Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 07F150 View Post

I feel your pain!

"I feel your paint"

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ha ha!

I did hand wash it today and just because it was a beautiful day, topped it off with a coat of NXT 2.0!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');