• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Holograms and swirls on black car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Holograms and swirls on black car!

I recently had my car painted a year ago, a beautiful flat mirror finish black.

over time, it got swirls and holograms.

I had it detailed at a local detailer shop that uses meguiars products. I saw them polish the car with a polisher and....

The results were flawless!

HOWEVER,

after taking it to them the following week for a car wash..

The swirls and holograms came back!!!!

What happened?

Did they just "cover up" the swirls and holograms?
    Did the detailers scratch the car all over again when drying the car?

They detailed the car again for free a second time and again the results were flawless.

However i went through a touchless carwash this time and again the same results. the swirls and holograms came back!!!

I just bought a meguiars DA G110 polisher and M80 and plan to go over it this weekend.

My question is... Will the holograms and swirls come back after a carwash or will my problem be solved?

Thanks for your help!

Gerald

Re: Help! Holograms and swirls on black car!

they shouldnt, if you want to make sure, start over from scratch, by washing it a few times with dawn to get rid of the wax, then start with a actual carwash, then the rest. Check the 5 step process, it takes a while, but the swirls and holorgrams should be gone
    2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Those kind of look like rotary buffer swirls but also like something else...

Compare your swirls...

To these, which are definitely inflicted using a rotary buffer....

IF they are rotary buffer swirls then the people doing the work are not following the rotary step with a different step using a different tool like a DA polisher to get away from the direct drive rotating action of the rotary buffer for their final polishing step.

You should print this thread out and show it to the shop owner.

Besides that, if you're lucky the M80 should remove the swirls as long as they're not to deep and the clear coat isn't too hard.

The bigger point is you shouldn't have to remove swirls after a detail shop works on your car.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow! That's a nice car! The paint does look smooth as glass.

I would honestly try to remove them yourself using the M80 and your G110. If they have worked on your car twice now and the same thing has happened I'd say they probably won't fix it on the 3rd time.
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by NISSANS14 View Post

However i went through a touchless car wash this time and again the same results. the swirls and holograms came back!!!

My question is... Will the holograms and swirls come back after a car wash or will my problem be solved?
          If you can remove the swirls using your G110 and some M80 Speed Glaze then they are removed and can't come back.

You can instill new ones by the way you touch the car or the way you allow others to touch the car.

Touchless car washes use strong chemicals to get the car clean since no brush or mop ever touches the paint, so think about it... how can they remove dirt if nothing touches the paint to loosen the dirt?

Answer: Strong cleaning chemicals.

These strong cleaning chemicals will also remove most car care products off the car.

The best bet is to take ownership of the car washing process with a quality car wash and a soft, quality car wash mitt.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Per Mike's answer:

Just this past week, I used a "touchless" car wash to eliminate some surface dirt. The result was hazing, and detergent marks. So, in essense, a 5 minute "touchless" wash required clay, polish and a protectant to bring back my finish.

Comment

[quote=Mike Phillips;224233]If you can remove the swirls using your G110 and some M80 Speed Glaze then they are removed and can't come back.

What would you recommend using to remove the swirls?

G110 and Scratch X followed by NXT wax

or

G110 and M80, followed by NXT wax??

Comment

[quote=gtstwincam;224255]
                Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                If you can remove the swirls using your G110 and some M80 Speed Glaze then they are removed and can't come back.

What would you recommend using to remove the swirls?

G110 and Scratch X followed by NXT wax

or

G110 and M80, followed by NXT wax??
                i vote for G110 and M80, followed by NXT Wax, as mike said before.

Comment

With the G100 you'll have better results compared to hand.

Do a test spot, evaluate your results and if you like the results that G100+M80+NXT leaves then you would duplicate this process on the entire car.

M80 would definitely remove swirls and defects from the paint

Comment

I would vote for the G110, #80 and then the NXT. Looks like a great car you have there. That first pic the paint looked fantastic.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

All polishes can "fill" in defects. Meguiars' polishes are no exceptions to the rule. The sad part is that most detailers have no idea because they never see the vehicles afterwords and don't realize the damage they instilled. As far as they (the detailers) and most bodyshops if the paint looks okay leaving the shop (as it will because the defects are filled) then they did a great job.

While Meguiars doesn't recommend this, this is why I recommend every detailer who finishes the car with a rotary should wipe the paint down with a solvent to check the true finish of the paint. Getting paint perfect with only a rotary is possible but takes a lot of skill and a drive to constantly improve yourself. Most detail shops employ guys at a low wage and with minimum training and think they are producing great results. The truth is they shouldn't even be training people on the proper technique because they have no idea themselves.

The sad part is 99 percent of their clients would never notice the marks so they are in no hurry to get better. I would bring the car back and demand a refund then invest that money in a PC and some polishes.

Todd
                      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Have you found a way on how to remove the swirls? Please let me know I think I have the answer.

Comment

Holy ancient threads batman!!!

Comment

OMG! Same happened to me.

It was nice though that someone mess my car' s paint and I ended here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

Holy ancient threads batman!!!

Update on this?
                              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');