• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to apply product to the face of your foam buffing pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply product to the face of your foam buffing pads

How to apply product to the face of your foam buffing pads

Below is how to apply fresh product to the face of you foam buffing pad when first starting out and your pads are dry. After you break you buffing pad in by working this initial amount of product over a section of paint, you can cut down on the amount of product you're using as the pad will be less likely to absorb as much product as it will become damp with product.

Remember don't turn the polisher on until the face of the foam pad is in contact with surface of your car's paint.

Quickly spread the product out of the surface you're going to work then slow your arm speed down and begin to use overlapping motions to work the product.

After working an application of product, wipe the leftover residue from the worked area and inspect, if the results look good move onto a new section overlapping a little into the previous section. Continue this procedure until you have finished a panel or the entire vehicle.

Remember to clean you pad on the fly and and to do this often. This insures the best experience while machine cleaning and polishing as excess product build-up on a foam buffing pad can cause gumming up.

See the below thread for related information...

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
    Cleaning Your Pad On The Fly
    How many passes to break the diminishing abrasives in M80 down?
    What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...
    PC + 83 not "Cutting" it! (The Limits of Dual Action Polisher)
    How to tape-off a car
    Please explain Pros/Cons between Rotary and Orbital Buffers
    The Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'
    Cutting Pads with the PC - Is this a good idea?
    G100/PC - Should it be spinning all the time?
    The words Clean and Cleaning as defined by Meguiar's terminology
    Can You Use the PC to Polish-out #2000 Grit Sanding Marks?
    Which products need to dry before removing?

Or if your the creative type like Joe at Superior Shine you can freestyle when placing fresh product onto the face of your foam pad.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How to apply product to the face of your foam buffing pads

I am an X'r.

Comment

For M83 I use three "dots" more than that seems like it too much.
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
        For M83 I use three "dots" more than that seems like it too much.
        Each person has to find what works best for them on the paint system they're working on at the time. In most cases, when starting out with a dry pad you want an ample amount of product to start the process, after you've broken in your pad you can cut down on how much product you're using and you temper this with how the product is working on the paint system you're working on.

Most people do over use product and that's a problem, but you also don't want to under use product as that will cause problems too...

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike could you post up a pic of how and what amount of product you would apply to a pad that has been used and already absorbed product?

Comment

Originally posted by 99GrandTouring View Post
            Mike could you post up a pic of how and what amount of product you would apply to a pad that has been used and already absorbed product?
            I'm curious to see this as well.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Hi Guys,

Mike Phillips wrote:
                Most people do over use product and that's a problem, but you also don't want to under use product as that will cause problems too...
                I took the Saturday class in July & relied on memory as to the amount of product to use on my pads. Also the pads instructions called for 'priming' the pad before use, with a specific recommended product. Priming seems strange, given that the recommended priming product, most likely won't be the products intended for use.

How about an insert 'paper' actual size of the pad, that has a pattern, (think black felt marker) one could use as a guide, for preventing gross over/under usage of product. The pattern would (similar to M. Phillips picture(s) product on pad) be a convenient visual reminder, for newbies, ballparking product usage.

Inserting a guide poses an expense to Meguiar's, so perhaps 'printable' target(s) could be posted at the forum, as a trial. Should one product require more or less product then a separate, printable target could be posted, identifying specific product. Personally I would like to see the pattern built in or part of the pad itself.

Take Care
                Rico

Comment

Originally posted by Rico View Post
                  Hi Guys,

I took the Saturday class in July & relied on memory as to the amount of product to use on my pads. Also the pads instructions called for 'priming' the pad before use, with a specific recommended product. Priming seems strange, given that the recommended priming product, most likely won't be the products intended for use.
                  This one?
                  Open Class - July 26th, 2008 - Pictures & Comments

That was a large class, which person were you?

Priming is usually done for cutting pads using a quick detailer like Quik Detailer and usually when using a rotary buffer, not a DA Polisher and that's because bringing a coarse, DRY foam pad spinning at around 1500 RPM onto dry paint will heat the paint up very quickly and there's the potential for burning the paint.

With a DA Polisher the pad is oscillating and the action is gentle and at this time we don't recommend using a cutting pad so that leaves just our soft polishing and finishing pads thus little or ZERO potential for burning he paint and therefore no need to prime the pad with a mist & wipe product like Quik Detailer.

Some people also prime their pads with the chemical they're going to be using with the pad for a host of great reasons Kevin Brown addressed in this thread.

Priming a Pad

Rotary Buffers and DA Polisher are dramatically different tools in how they function and the dangers or lack thereof they present.

Originally posted by Rico View Post
                  How about an insert 'paper' actual size of the pad, that has a pattern, (think black felt marker) one could use as a guide, for preventing gross over/under usage of product. The pattern would (similar to M. Phillips picture(s) product on pad) be a convenient visual reminder, for newbies, ball-parking product usage.

Inserting a guide poses an expense to Meguiar's, so perhaps 'printable' target(s) could be posted at the forum, as a trial. Should one product require more or less product then a separate, printable target could be posted, identifying specific product. Personally I would like to see the pattern built in or part of the pad itself.

Take Care
                  Rico
                  Great idea, maybe copy and paste the last two paragraphs and post them here,

New Product Suggestions

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

very good info mike i thought i was using a little too much product

Comment

Hi Mike,

I'm (pic #1) front row, right side, the guy with the hat, & hand on my knee.

Take Care
                      Rico

Comment

Brass air fittig

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings there is just about every type
                        of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
                        used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu

Comment

I'm ready- I'm ready -I'm ready -I'm ready .........

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');