• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to apply #83 properly with PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply #83 properly with PC?

Hi everyone.. I tried the PC yesterday and it was a tough experience with #83.. I remember jfelbab saying that a 2'x2' should take 3-5 minutes because the armspeed should be slow and I should be covering the area like in 3 runs.. Well, there were still a lot of swirls that was left and I thought most of it will be gone.. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, when you move the PC, does it seem not to leave any product behind? It seems like there's not to no product at all.. And when I turn off the PC, where the pad stops, it leaves a lot of residue that's why it's confusing what's really happening.. Also, is it hard to wipe it off?

TIA
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

I've read through a lot before doing this and my arm speed was extremely slow, I applied pressure although I don't know if it's more than 5 lbs on the head of the polisher..

The only new information I've gathered is that the surface might have been hot.. Well, I'm in Phoenix so the car sitting in the garage just makes the surface hot.. Damn, how will I work with #83 if this is the problem?? Lol! I also don't know whether the product is too much or not enough..

Comment

#83 and the PC

Did you have the PC set to 5.0 or higher? I like to run mine wide open at 6.0. You have to really work it into the paint so it almost disappears leaving behind a slight residue. It may take more than 3-5 passes over an area to get it to break down. I also push down with more force (7 lbs.) on the head of the PC with my free hand. That helps quite a bit.

In only use #83 when MPPC doesn't work. I also plan on trying after MPPC and before #83. If you are skilled in rotary buffer use (I am not) I would use it instead of a PC. It would go much faster.

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Swirl removal with a pc really depends on paint hardness to be honest. Some paints are so hard you need a rotary to remove them with. What pad are you using? For swirl removal with a pc i go with the red cutting pad on 5.5 first few passes i apply pressure to help break it down than i lighten up as it breaks down. If theres any haze left behind i switch to a polishing pad and a final polish. If this fails i break out the rotary.

Comment

*83 applied with a PC

Good point about paint hardness. I used #83 with a PC on a black TA and a Dark Bronzemist Metallic Grand Prix GTP. From what Mike says the paint on newer GM cars is very hard. Using the PC and #83 took a lot of work on these cars, requiring several passes and a lot of time. If I was skilled in using a rotary I definitely would have used it instead.

I traded my TA and bought a GTO and the few swirls on it are very minor, so I feel no need to use DACP at this point. I may try #80 instead.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I used Mike's advice.. #83 with a polishing pad set on speed 5.0 Question, how do you guys know how much pressure you're applying to the polisher anyways? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');