• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice before purchasing Flex XC 3401 VRG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice before purchasing Flex XC 3401 VRG

I've been looking into buying myself a Flex XC 3401 VRG polisher (which is their dual action machine) and I wanted to ask a few questions before I threw down the $300.

1) First off, am I making the right choice? I only detail on the side and I only do about one car a week. I've been using the G100 for quite a while now and I'm beginning to push it's limitations (or so I think). I've perfected my technique, and while I still haven't made it to a detailing course down in Irvine, I think I'm doing pretty well. I polished out a C6 Corvette last weekend, which has notoriously hard paint, and after four applications of M83 w/ W-8006 pad on my test spot, the swirls were only 60% removed. Many of the cars I detail are GM vehicles, which all have relatively hard clear coats, and my G100 can't effectively tackle most of the swirls.

I know the G110 is an option, but if it only has slightly increased power, will I really see any improvement? I know learning how to use the rotary is an option, but I'm way too scared to use such a tool on other people's cars.

2) Which pads can be used with the Flex? I've read that the velcro on the W-8006 pad isn't large enough and the backing plate will tear through the foam in time. ADS sells the Flex with Cross-Cut Flex Foam Pads, but there are six different types. Which pads will compare to the W-8006 and W-9006 pads? ADS also says that the Lake Country CCS pads work with the Flex. Not really sure which direction to go with pads, and I've always strayed away from cutting pads, since Mike always said never to use them with a DA.

3) Which products should I look into buying? The most aggressive product I have right now is M83. I've heard that the Flex is capable of using a wide range of products, including compounds like M105 Ultra Cut Compound. The new Paint Reconditioning Cream also sounds like a great product. Any advice on which products to purchase would be appreciated.

Re: Need some advice before purchasing Flex XC 3401 VRG

I have tackled a black 2005 Explorer Limited, 2006 black Ranger Rover HSE, and my own Red Focus with impeccable results with the FLEX. The FLEX WILL remove more serious defects than a normal PC can, and most importantly it will do so in MUCH less time. Even with the FLEX returning a car to assembly line condition can take 12+ hours...using products as aggressive as 83, 105, or Menzerna polishes.

It just is not possible to tackle a 100% swirl removal job in a single day on a dark car with a PC, IMO. I have a G100, and as awesome as that tool is, it just can't cut it (excuse the pun) like the FLEX.

I use the foamed purple wool pad as well as other Lake Country pads with amazing results.

Order it, you will not regret it. BUT, I warn you...they do have a semi-known issue with the backing plates. It is not a HUGE deal, but something that needs to be addressed. PM me for info on that.

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Kevin

Comment

Well, this seems to be a controversial topic on here, you either love em, or hate em!

I have both the Flex 3401 VRG and the 3404 rotary, I like them both. I don't really use the 3401 for paint defects, as I use the rotary for that, but I do follow up the rotary with the 3401 as my last polishing step. There is a learning curve to it, as mentioned in other threads, it rotates counter clockwise, takes a little getting used to. The machine has a lot of power though and although I have not used it for serious correction work, I've read where others have and had good luck.

Some things to consider on the pads, the 6.5" softbuff pads, once they are saturated with product, the backing plate will cut into the foam due to it sticking out farther than the Velcro and ruin your pad.

I've used the Lake County CCS pads, and they do work, but since they don't have a beveled edge, they will tend to want to take you for a ride. I just ordered some of the cross cut pads, but haven't tried them out yet. As for as the aggressiveness goes, the Yellow is very aggressive, the orange is probably closer to the maroon softbuff pad, maybe a tad less aggressive, the white pad and green pads are pretty equivalent to the yellow softbuff pads and the black, blue, and red pads would be close to the tan softbuff finishing pads.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I received my Flex this morning and while I haven't tested it out yet (other than plugging it in and running it), it seems like an extremely well built tool. When I started it up, I was shocked at how smooth it ran (also very quiet). The forced dual action rotation is amazing to see in action compared to the PC's eratic jiggling motions and I can tell this tool is gonna be far more capable than the PC. I got a six pack of the cross cut pads with a random selection of each so I can give them a try. I also got some M105 to try with the LC foamed wool pads. So far, I'm very happy with my purchase. The true test will be this weekend when I try out the performance.

P.S. 'khindal', I never receieved a PM... You might wanna try sending it again.

Comment

Could you please tell me if there is something on the machine like 50/60hz or only 60?
            If you think it it's expensive to hire a professional,
            hire an amateur first.
            King of the Mustang louvers

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');