• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1966 Buick Skylark GranSport with the Original Single Stage Lacquer Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Buick Skylark GranSport with the Original Single Stage Lacquer Paint

1966 Buick Skylark GranSport with the Original Single Stage Lacquer Paint

I am working on a 66 Buick Skylark Gransport that has White original single stage acrylic lacquer paint.

Last weekend we pulled it out of the barn and I washed and clayed it. The paint feels a little rough and dry and appears to have some "cracking" in areas. After my forum search on single stage lacquer paint care, it appears that maybe I should consider using M80 by hand.

It's a pretty big car to do completely by hand. Since the paint has some pretty bad scratches and damage, my feeling is either we will re-paint it at some point or we will sell the car to someone else that will re-paint it.

My dilemma is trying to decide whether to make it look as good as it can look or try to maintain it's existing "patina" as an original number correct survivor car. What I want to do is use the PC and M80, followed by #7 and 2 coats of NXT.

Re: M80 by Hand? 66 GranSport Single Stage Lacquer

Congrats on keeping such a classic. Numbered and all? NICE
    Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

M80 is definitely the way to go.

You can tackle it by hand using terry cloth, using the cotton loops of the terry cloth as a type of scrubbing gentle abrasive together with the diminishing abrasives found in the M80

This works really well to gently remove the oxidized dead paint while the oils in the M80 will penetrate into the underlying paint and help to restore the color.

You can also use the M80 with your DA Polisher and use either a W-8006 and even a W-7006 foam pad as single stage paints are a lot more forgiving than clear coat paints when it comes to getting aggressive with your pad.

Your 4 fingers pushing down on a piece of terry cloth can exert more pressure per square inch than the polisher will using a 6" pad but the size you can work is smaller as your 4 finger tips are smaller than the surface of the pad. (Obviously).

Example
      After applying a paint cleaner by hand to remove swirls and scratches to a car with a red single stage paint job and then turning the applicator over you can see that red pigmented paint accumulated the most where your 4 fingertips pressed down on the applicator pad. You get these same types of results when you're working on a clear coat finish by hand, (with a paint cleaner), except you can't see the accumulation of removed paint because it's clear.

Another option is to tackle the horizontal surfaces, which usually have the worst oxidation is to carefully use a rotary buffer with the M80 and either a cutting pad or a polishing pad to remove the dead paint.

No matter how you approach the makeover be very careful around any sharp edges or raised body lines so that you don't remove too much paint and expose primer or shiny steel.

Also do your best to capture "Before" pictures, (should have been done before claying), because once you start working on the paint there's no way to go back in time and get them.

I've personally restored a lot of original single stage paints and restoring the paint to its maximum potential will always showcase the all original car versus leaving it ugly.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Lucky you!

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        M80 is definitely the way to go.

Also do your best to capture "Before" pictures, (should have been done before claying), because once you start working on the paint there's no way to go back in time and get them.

I've personally restored a lot of original single stage paints and restoring the paint to its maximum potential will always showcase the all original car versus leaving it ugly.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Lucky you!

Mike

I took "before" photos on a typical cloudy Oregon day last weekend. I tried uploading them to a gallery album...but due to technical difficulties that will have to wait until your webmaster is back at work. I will try a couple of test spots tomorrow morning and take photos of the results. We are expecting a "mostly" dry weekend, so I can move the car out of the garage and take more "after" shots. My quickie test spot was by hand with M80 and one of the foam applicator pads, but I was kind of tired after the washing and claying, so I'm sure there was not enough "passion behind the pad". I am a little reluctant to try out my new Flex rotary on this car. I have a parts Bronco to use as a learning tool for the rotary- "70's vintage early Bronco, so I think it is also single stage paint (Beaver Orange) I will post before - process - and results photos when I get to that one.

Thanks for your input!

Stacy

Comment

Mike,

I finished the GranSport over the weekend using the PC with #80, #7, NXT. By hand I used NXT all metal polish and Detailer line glass cleaner.

Several of the things that I learned from your Saturday classes were implemented in this detail. Doing a test spot, using the "least aggressive" method that acheives results, letting the tool do the work, slowing down the speed and shrinking down the work area... all of these techniques, combined with great products allowed me to get great results on a car that has 42 year old single stage acrylic lacquer paint that has been stored "in a barn" for the last 12 years. I would like to share the photos when the gallery is working, however, my photography skills are not up to par with some of the other extreme makeovers I am enjoying reading the forums. White just does not "pop" like the darker colors on film, but in real life the car looks so much better that Larry may just keep it instead of selling it.

That is my definition of doing a good job!

Comment

Very excited to see your results!

As soon as the gallery is working again I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Me too ... Please upload some pictures when you can. I'm very much a "by hand" kind of guy, not to mention a classic car guy from the UK with a big of "a thing" for American cars, so this sounds like something quite special to me

Comment

Comment

Pics are a little small. But the Buick looks good. Way to go.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Sorry about the photos. My teenage photo whiz is gone for the weekend...maybe Tyler ada "roushstage2" can fix them for me?

Comment

Originally posted by southpactire View Post
                      Sorry about the photos. My teenage photo whiz is gone for the weekend...maybe Tyler ada "roushstage2" can fix them for me?
                      Ha! I just saw them and was getting ready to, but figured I should finish reading the thread first. Give me a minute!

Comment

I just hope I correctly labeled all of the pictures!!!
                        Taped Up

Engine Before

Engine After

Afters

I must say, that car looks like new! Excellent work!!!

Comment

Tyler,

Thanks for the help with the photos!
                          Stacy

Comment

Awesome work Stacy!

That looks like a really nice condition all original car, must have been a lot of fun to work on.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

I loved working on this car. If you look back in the old forum archives last year, I was afraid to work on Larry's 66 Chevelle SS. After attending both Meguiar's classes this year, I had the confidence to tackle this car with it's original finish. My photography skills don't really capture the gleam that I brought back to the white paint. I'ts an automatic, so it is a muscle car that I can actually drive to events this summer.

Stacy

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');