• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wax/polish on painted plastic bumpers and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax/polish on painted plastic bumpers and trim

I've always had this question that I could never find an answer to. Maybe some one here can shed some light on. On just about every wax bottle...maybe polish too but I haven't checked, it says to not use on painted plastic surfaces. I usually do anyway but why is that? Just about every car bumper is made of plastic and is color matched. Is there something better to use or am I missinterpreting something here? Thanks.
    George G.
    ----------------------------------

Hi George,

Just to clarify, when you say you're applying products to color matched plastic products, do you mean colored plastic, such as black plastic side mirrors?

Or like plastic, (urethane bumper covers), that are painted to match the car.

If it's the first, then you're working on plastic. If it's the second, then while the component your working on is made out of plastic, it's coated with automotive paint, so technically, you're working on paint.

It's kind of like the questions I get from time to time on Corvettes. Some people think because they're working on a Corvette, they are working on Fiberglas, while technically the car is made from fiberglas, it is painted with automotive paint, and thus the person is working on paint, not fiberglas.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm referring to bumper covers painted to match, not black trim or unpainted plastic. That's the logic I was using, which is why I wax bumpers anyway, but not unpainted trim. Now getting wax off of trim is PITA. thanks again.
      George G.
      ----------------------------------

Comment

Hi George,

I'll check into the warning of not applying our product to painted plastics, I'm pretty sure if it's painted, it's safe to apply, but perhaps there are some exceptions.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');