• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will clay bar remove haze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will clay bar remove haze?

if not, what will i have haze on my passenge door and i want it off. any tips

Re: will clay bar remove haze?

Do you have any pictures of your passenger door that you could post?

Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

i will have to get some tomorrow, i dont have any right now

Comment

Can you feel anything on the surface of the vehicle when you run your hand over it? If so, I would say that claying would help. Then use a cleaner wax, polish and something to protect the car.

Check out this thread: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Also check out this one: How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Of course this is assuming you are working by hand.

Let us know and see if you can post some pics.

Andy
        101impala
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

stangAtang, I'd recommend using Body Scrub. I used it on my mom's car on which the paintwork was all dull and matt and Body Scrub removed all the bad stuff. Now the paint really shines.

Comment

Originally posted by R0N1N View Post
            stangAtang, I'd recomment using Body Scrub...
            If "Body Scrub" is what I think it is, it's far too abrasive as a first choice.

Don't used any polishing product you can actually feel grit in.

Try the clay... it' can't hurt and will pick up the suface level bonded contaminates. Then try #80. If it's just haze, this should do the trick. If that doesn't do it then try #83 and then #80. Make sure you know or learn how to work these products so that the diminishing abrasives have a chance to work.

In all cases, rewax your finish when done cleaning/polishing.

If those products don't work you might want to turn it over to a pro.

Comment

Yeah, it is what you think it is. But I didn't find it to be that aggresive to paint and that's why I recommended it. I was initially thinking about DC Step 1 but eventually favoured Body Scrub.

Comment

Originally posted by HagFan View Post
                Originally posted by R0N1N View Post
                Yeah, it is what you think it is. But I didn't find it to be that aggresive to paint and that's why I recommended it. I was initially thinking about DC Step 1 but eventually favoured Body Scrub.
                R0N1N is right...and he's not. Of the three consumer products, Body Scrub had the edge on aggressiveness, but I believe it's been discontinued. Even so, it couldn't be called aggressive as in "harsh," by any stretch of the imagination. It is, or was, a strong paint cleaner that if I remember correctly, was primarily but not exclusively, a chemical cleaner.

I believe that Scratch-X now stands about where Body Scrub did in terms of aggression. That being said, depending on what type of haze he's dealing with, there might not be a product that will solve the problem by hand.

IMO, get Scratch-X and give it a try, if that is aggressive enough and works, great! If not, there will ALWAYS be something else the Scratch-X WILL work on (tough bug guts on the front end), so it's not money wasted.
                Don
                12/27/2015
                "Darth Camaro"
                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by stangAtang View Post
                  if not, what will i have haze on my passenger door and i want it off. any tips
                  Detailing clay removes...

Above Surface Bonded Contaminants

These are contaminants or particles that are bonded to, or attached to the surface of the paint.

Detailing clay does not remove paint so it does not remove any kind of defect that is in the paint.

Usually hazing is some kind of defect that is in the paint such as swirls, scratches. Pant can also be dull or hazy because the upper surface has somehow been effected to make it un-clear.

For this type of defect what you want to do is to restore clarity to the surface of the finish and you would do this using something that has the ability to clean or abrade the paint in a way that smooths it over.

If you're working by hand, then this would be a product like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, (Dedicated Paint Cleaners), or a Cleaner/Wax like A12 Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax or ColorX.

It's pretty easy to test and see if you can fix it but you'll have to purchase a product if you don't already own one of the above. If you only want to do 1 thing to the paint, then go to any auto parts store or a store like Target or Wal-Mart and pick up a bottle of ColorX.

Apply this to a small section of the affected area and really work it in well and then allow the residue to dry and then wipe off the dried residue and inspect.

If it looks clear the repeat to the entire area.

If it remains hazy then try a second application or post back here.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Sorry, guys. I was thinking it was some sort of general clenser-- like "Soft Scrub". My mistake...

Comment

ok, when using color x, do i do the whole car before removing the product? or do i do like half the car then remove? just trying to get a guesstimate on time for the product to dry

Comment

Since it is a wax, you want to let it dry before removing, so doing the whole car first is best.

Because you have to take the time to work ColorX in, the first parts of the car might be almost dry by the time you get to the end. But I find it is best to let the entire car dry before starting to remove the excess, so maybe a 10-15 minute wait?
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by stangAtang View Post
                          ok, when using color x, do i do the whole car before removing the product? or do i do like half the car then remove? just trying to get a guesstimate on time for the product to dry
                          The easiest way is to circle the car twice...the first time around to apply the wax, the second time around to remove it.
                          Don
                          12/27/2015
                          "Darth Camaro"
                          2013 Camaro ... triple black
                          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

I have a hazing showing up on a black surface wherever I put NXT Tech Wax on and after the car has been in the sun, I can see where I put the wax and the pattern I used to apply it. Almost like I didn't remove it. I'm letting the car cool so I can go back out and see what I can do with it. It is hard to see, and only under the right light.
                            too many cars, not enough time.....

Comment

Might be applying to thick, not letting dry completely? Or not a well prepped surface? Going over with a detailing spray should help.
                              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');