• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning the backside of a chrome plated wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the backside of a chrome plated wheel

I have some chrome wheels (assume cast aluminum) and I wanted to clean the side facing the car. The inside has picked up some stains and a few blobs of tar.

The appearance side is nice chrome but the opposite (inside) side (starting at the rear of the spokes is a matte silver/gray finish. I think this is also a plating as opposed to a paint since one spot seems to have flaked like a poorly plating surface does and I saw some exposed copper. If it is painted, it is not clear coated.

I have used a little ONR (water restrictions) and Meg's All Wheel Cleaner (only sparingly since I did not have a lot of water to rinse them). It did help but not with the stains or tar.

What can I use on these rims? Polish, APC, wheel cleaner? BTW, I plan to show the dealer the flaking and try to get it replaced under warranty.
    Al
    ~ Providing biased opinions

Re: Cleaning the backside of a chrome plated wheel

Help.
    Al

Comment

Could you post an image of what you mean? (may be difficult if webmaster is still sick)

If you're literally trying to clean the back part of a wheel that you can't see, likely your only bet is to remove the wheel from the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
        The appearance side is nice chrome but the opposite (inside) side (starting at the rear of the spokes is a matte silver/gray finish. I think this is also a plating as opposed to a paint since one spot seems to have flaked like a poorly plating surface does and I saw some exposed copper. If it is painted, it is not clear coated.
        In order to save money, most major manufacturers only chrome the front of the rims, leaving the back side semi-finished. That's how the rims on both my Cavalier and Suzuki were finished. It took Megs Hot Rims, several assorted brushes and a lot of elbow grease to get the back sides clean.

Having a plating company re-chrome your rims would be the other option.
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

I have removed them from the car. I just wanted to confirm if the "semi-finish" to use the terms here is a plating or what. The surface is fairly smooth but not like the chrome side.

Can I use a Mag and Alum polish or should I stick with general purpose wheel cleaner?
          Al

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
            I have removed them from the car. I just wanted to confirm if the "semi-finish" to use the terms here is a plating or what. The surface is fairly smooth but not like the chrome side.

Can I use a Mag and Alum polish or should I stick with general purpose wheel cleaner?

You can, but I think the surface is going to be rough enough that trying to use any type of polish will be difficult.
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"
            2013 Camaro ... triple black
            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');