• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do YOU remove wax/sealants from paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do YOU remove wax/sealants from paint?

Ok guys...we all have our own methods of madness, but I am curious to see who uses what, and WHY.

Please answer the poll AND add in what your experiences have been...information is always welcome!
    Microfiber towels BY HAND
    74.31%
    Terry Cloth towels BY HAND
    2.75%
    Microfiber BONNET with a PC/DA/Rotary
    8.26%
    Terry Cloth BONNET with a PC/DA/Rotary
    2.75%
    Sometimes wiping off by Hand and sometimes using a Bonnet on a DA Polisher
    11.93%

Re: How do YOU remove wax/sealants from paint?

It really depends. I voted MF towel by hand. I use the MF when polishing because you need to remove the polish right away and are working in small sections. If I apply a wax or sealant to the whole car like NXT for example, I use the MF bonnet on the DA. Using the Bonnet over a pad just slows down the process while polishing. IMO.

Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

i voted for micro fiber by da. I remove the wax sealant with the da and a bonnet then do a final slower wipe down with a micro fiber by hand.

Andrew
      2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Originally posted by onawrxhigh View Post
        i voted for micro fiber by da. I remove the wax sealant with the da and a bonnet then do a final slower wipe down with a micro fiber by hand.

Andrew
        Do you find that using the DA with the MF bonnet that it leaves residue since it builds up quickly?

I have several bonnets but never use them because I figured it WOULD build up too quickly.

Comment

Microfiber towels by hand for me. But sometimes I still use 100% cotton terry cloths.

Comment

^^ Me too. The MF does the bulk of the work, but I like to use a terry cloth for the final wipe.

I seem to get better "feeling" through a terry cloth which I like during the final wipe. They also slide over the newly waxed surface better!
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

microfiber by hand for me, they seem to work better for me
              2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Well 1st i try to talk nice and if that don't work i offer cash and if that don't work i break out my little friend

MICRO-FIBER works' every time
                Buff -Buff -Buff till your brain shine's brite than Buff a little more till the end of the night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Both. I usually use a bonnet on the DA but I always follow that with a MF.
                  Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

I use the bonnet with the da. Works good for me.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

MF by hand. I've thought about MF bonnet by machine, but can't see any advantage to the method. Anyone who uses MF/machine method, do you notice a better finish in the end??? Is there really an advantage or is it just more fun to use a machine??

Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

By hand, because you can't get every spot with a machine, and you'll still need to do those parts by hand anyway.

Comment

Never used a rotary buffer to remove wax or even put it on.

Just to note... hope you don't mind... we added another option to vote on....

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Lumadar View Post
                            Do you find that using the DA with the MF bonnet that it leaves residue since it builds up quickly?

I have several bonnets but never use them because I figured it WOULD build up too quickly.
                            I have never had any residue left over after using a bonnet by machine. If there was any residue my final wipe gets rid of it. I also seem to notice a more burnished/shinier final finish with the machine. This could just be me but the paint does look different compared to all by hand.

Andrew
                            2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

I have used a da to put wax on but never a rotary to put on or take off i could just see alot of trouble with that situation
                              Buff -Buff -Buff till your brain shine's brite than Buff a little more till the end of the night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');